SPITIN' FIRE OVER SPLITFIRE SPARK PLUGS!!!!!

Orono

[color:\\"red\\"] Do not use Splitfire plugs!! If you have Splitfires in your vehicle, change them now before it is too late!!!

I purchased F350 last year and the previous owner had installed Splitfire's earler that year. (He is a motor head & knows to use never-seize on the threads) This past weekend I was towing a boat and one of the spark plugs was ejected from the head. Upon further inspection I found the metal base had rusted just below the "hex nut". This left the threaded portion still in the head. After having the truck <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> boat towed home, I tried removing the remaning spark plugs. A total of 5 out of the 8 plugs broke in the same manner. My only choice was to remove the heads and send them to the machine shop.

I talked to a number of mechanics and they all said they see this fairly often with the Splitfires. A local parts store told me they quit selling the Splitfires for this reason. In fact, another guy was in earlier that day with the same situation. I have also been told not to expect any help from the manufacturer because they only carry a 30 day warranty. I am going to try anyway. There is no reason for any plugs that are less than 2 years old & with less than 10,000 miles on them to disintegrate like this. ESPECIALLY ONES YOU PAY A PREMIUM PRICE FOR!!!!!

Now we know what "Split" in the name means. I thought it refered to the electrode shape, turns out it stands for the plug BODY!! laugh.gif

Thanks for the warning.

Thanks for the warning.

I recall a couple of years ago reading on another forum that the platinum pellets on the electrodes can and often do fall off. (not completely certain it was SplitFire I just decided to stay away from all platinum tip plugs) Some get blown out through the exhaust. Others have got caught between piston and block carving out huge grooves in the block. These people have recovered damages.

I would be asking for compensation and if denied I would be looking into the small court system.