Ebay Laugh of the day

Terry Bond

Spotted this on Evil-bay a couple of days ago and it took me a half hour to stop laughing.   So far, this is the most absurd attempt to guess the price and ID on something the seller has zip knowledge about.  Nearly $7K for a simple printers block.  Gawd,  you could buy a complete Model T for that!

Terry

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-1918-FORD-THE-UNIVERSAL-CAR-BRONZE-EMBLEM-STAMP-ANTIQUE-MUSEUM-QUALITY/202627281235?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Haha 1

We laugh at those prices, but these museums pay more for a lot less. Case in point, The Henry Ford recently bought an Apple 1 computer, just an open printed circuit board, no case, old keyboard with no case, a 5" black and white TV and a small cassette tape deck, they paid right at one million dollars for it.

Years ago, there was a guy had a Locomobile steam engine, he ran an ad in the paper, he wanted $100,000 dollars for it. I doubt he sold it.

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I have a box full of old auto related printers blocks. I even have this one of a 1910 Reo, the ad it was used for and a picture of a real car. No luck trying to sell it years ago but now that things have changed (?) it should finance that round the world cruise!

block903.JPG

block903a (2).jpg

block903f.jpg

• Like 1

Back when I owned a 1919 Model R REO, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. Actually, they are called "cuts" and are usually copper or zinc on a wooden block. The car companies sent out thousands of them with their ads in newspapers and magazines. With the demise of letterpress printing, they were no longer used and I've seen, literally, a 55-gallon drum full of them being discarded by an old print shop. I was in the printing business most of my working life and knew several old shops in the neighborhood - I've even had cuts made because I started at the end of the letterpress era.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I have a box full of old auto related printers blocks. I even have this one of a 1910 Reo, the ad it was used for and a picture of a real car. No luck trying to sell it years ago but now that things have changed (?) it should finance that round the world cruise!

block903.JPG

block903a (2).jpg

block903f.jpg

That's my friend's 1910 REO....

Picture 3042.jpg

Picture 2934.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

From the ebay auction:

I think this could be a one of a kind piece...

Based on what, exactly? Your in-depth knowledge of automotive history?

Here's more examples of what this person has for sale. Very few automotive items. I'd say this person doesn't appear to be much of an expert on anything. Just another stupid person on ebay. When I had my music store, I referred to this nonsense as the "Antiques Road Show Syndrome." Idiots thought that any old guitar was worth $5000 and if it said "Gibson" on it, it was worth another $5000 on top of that. Very frustrating.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/crowvelle/m.html?item=202627281235&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

3 hours ago, zipdang said:

Being a printer (retired), I found that Ford block hilarious. I have one for Hupmobile. Now that one would be worth 10 times the Ford just for the rarity. I'm sure. Really. No kidding. It's how I could retire.

I was just thinking that my Plymouth/DeSoto ad printing block would be in the same category as the Hupp item.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Agreed-he sure loves his stuff!  Looking at the other mascots the seller offers, everything is priced thru the roof compared to similar items being offered elsewhere and having been sold at auction.  Granted this is a rare and unusual mascot but I sure wouldn't describe it as the "holy grail."  It's just an accessory novelty mascot, and I can think of a lot of others that come closer to the "holy grail" benchmark.  I wonder if he is trying to just show off his stuff and doesn't care if it sells or not.   Kinda like someone taking a car coral spot and putting a stupid price on the car.  If it sells, oh, well, if not, at least we got a cheeeeeep parking spot for the car show.

Terry

22 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Terry, I am quite surprised you did not jump on that bargain! :D

No, wasn't interested.  I've got the car and got one of the printers blocks years ago at Hershey, along with a few others, $25 or all.

Terry

46 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Agreed-he sure loves his stuff!  Looking at the other mascots the seller offers, everything is priced thru the roof compared to similar items being offered elsewhere and having been sold at auction.  Granted this is a rare and unusual mascot but I sure wouldn't describe it as the "holy grail."  It's just an accessory novelty mascot, and I can think of a lot of others that come closer to the "holy grail" benchmark.  I wonder if he is trying to just show off his stuff and doesn't care if it sells or not.   Kinda like someone taking a car coral spot and putting a stupid price on the car.  If it sells, oh, well, if not, at least we got a cheeeeeep parking spot for the car show.

Terry

He can make great money off the 15% return fee if someone  was crazy enough to buy it and then discover he had been ripped off. 

On 4/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Wow, from the price of that Ford printer's block I bet a guy could snap this International Harvester block up and make a killing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372610044144

If the seller doesn't see this post and raise his price.

Bernie

It looks like the seller saw the light. And has added some important history to the description.

International Harvester stuff. This could be the Holy Bale!

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

On 4/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, keiser31 said:

That guy also wants a ton of money for the rest of his mascots.

I hope he's a collector, because he will have them for a long, long time at those prices.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I found another Evilbay laugh.  My side hurts from this one - item number is 303011492794 and it's being advertised as an  "Antique Concept Car" and is being described as a "High end, Investment Grade, Museum Quality" model.  $2498.97 is the buy it now price and that's a bargain as it is 50% off of the original asking price.  It's the common Franklin Mint Duryea model.

Terry