dracenroc

1928 Buick front shock absorbers

After having a closer look to the front axle I realized that both front shocks are missing. The whole equipment is gone. Don't know how they drove like this and how the handling of the car will be...

According the books the type is a

Delco-Remy 1500-A and 1500-B for right and left front. It fits Models 47-47S-48-50-51-54C and 55

I also need the two shock absorber strap studs for the front axle.

I have a set of 4 x F & R shockabsorbers,how much are you offering for the fronts (shorter slightly curved arm).Im located in australia.

Thanks for your help!

Its hard to say, depends on the condition. An other thing will be the postage to send them to Europe.

Not sure what you mean with "shorter slightly curved arm". According the parts book for the '28 128"Series the fronts have longer arms and are straight. This should make sense since the distance between the mounting point and the strap stud is bigger than the distance in the rear.

In the attached picture you can see the 1500G/H shocks, this ones are for the front for a model 54 (1500K/J are rear shocks for the 54). I don't no the difference to the model 51in connection with the shocks. Chassis dimensions are the same, and the model 54C uses the 1500A/B, like the model 51.

There are no part numbers on the shocks before 1930 anyway, the figures given here are just to identify the item in the picture.

If you could measure the arm and the distance between the attaching bolt holes it might help me to check if they would fit. Thank you.

IMG_5793.jpg

I have this one I kept off a 28 Standard chassis parted out decades ago. The only reason I know what it is is because I marked it then. It has Delco Remy Lovejoy in it on one side,on the other is a 10,under that it looks like 820996,under that is an A or maybe AL. I don't recall whether it came off the front or back but from your illustrations it looks like the short arm but maybe the shock itself is the same front and back. There are no rust or damage issues,it probably needs resealing. I would take $65 plus shipping, Pm me if interested.

IMG_5370.JPG

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5372.JPG

5 hours ago, sagefinds said:

I have this one I kept off a 28 Standard chassis parted out decades ago. The only reason I know what it is is because I marked it then. It has Delco Remy Lovejoy in it on one side,on the other is a 10,under that it looks like 820996,under that is an A or maybe AL. I don't recall whether it came off the front or back but from your illustrations it looks like the short arm but maybe the shock itself is the same front and back. There are no rust or damage issues,it probably needs resealing. I would take $65 plus shipping, Pm me if interested.

Thank you, sagefinds. Will come back to you, I will not come to my car the rest of the week.

Send me a message to obsolete@pnc.com.au  & I will forward you some pictures. I had them identified back to front,yes,they have the straight arm.

sagefinds, your shocks are most probably rears. I have the following numbers on mine:

left: G2, 820997

right: R15, 820996

Shock itself might be the same, front and rear, but without the correct arms it doesn't help me.

Not sure if you have this or not from the United Services Manual. Looks like the shocks are shared by both Master and Standard and are model dependent . I would suggest that the are the same body with different arm lengths  from front to rear and likely different valving where a model calls for a different shock at the same location (IE different shock for rears for some models. ) 

I have a set labelled 1928 , not sure if they are front or rears . I'll post you some pictures after I pay Mom a visit today!

They are surplus to my needs for the 1925!

Brad

786678571_UnitedMotors-shocks.thumb.png.efee9de24e1832cd4ea55bb05987e864.png

• Like 1

Thank you Brad! I didn't have this, only the parts book oft the 120"s & 128"s where all. Good to know they used the same models for the 115"s too...and that I can get it for 8$ 🤣!

I don't have any figures but from pictures I have I would say the front arm is about a third longer than the rear arm.

If you could measure the arm length I can check if they would fit.

Enjoy your visit!

Werner

Here are the shocks I have . One body has the same number as Sagefind's , the other is 20997,; they are clearly a right and a left. They are also stamped  G1 and G5 but I suspect those are simply casting numbers as they do not match up with any of the part numbers provided so far.

Arm length is about 7" from the centre of the lever shaft to the tip of the arm where the snubber material hangs over.

On the back side , the shaft centre is offset between the bolt holes, being 1.75" rear of the centre of the front bolt.

Not sure what the neutral position is for these is. Given they only work one direction , they may not rest in the horizontal position.

Hopefully, that is enough information to tell you whether these arms will locate properly above the front axle. Should be able to get a good idea of axle location using a level and a plumb line referenced from the frame bolt holes.

Both of the arms on these shocks don't move. with hand pressure or even a bit more persuasion. I did not open them up to inspect why.

PM me if you are interested.

Brad

IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG