I am preparing to install my new windshield.  I bought the 3M ribbon sealer, as discussed in some earlier threads. 

For those who have done this before, how close to the inside edge of the pinch weld, at the top and bottom of the windshield, do you position the ribbon sealer?  I mocked up a small piece in the attached pictures.  Do you install as close to the inside edge as possible or center on the pinch weld? 

Also, I have the same question about where it should sit on the A-pillar...close to inside edge or centered?  I am thinking close to the inside edge for the A-pillar as I don't believe the windshield is wide enough to make contact if I center it.

Finally, where should I position the seam where the two ends of the ribbon sealer meet? 

Thanks Doug

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

Nevermind

I should have read the box for the ribbon sealer, before posting. It says right on the box to “start seal on bottom of side pillar. Line up sealer even with edge of pinch weld.”

Posted (edited)

BTW…Thank u for finding this GREAT windshield deal thru Summit. I wanna pull the trigger soon too. But I recently decided to reuse my pitted glass with a small rock chip in it because of your horror story.

Did they make u ship each broken windshield back every time?

Glad u finally got good glass. “Third time is a charm”…wait that old adage doesn’t apply in your case huh haha.

As u can tell, I followed your other thread. Someone mentioned that this replacement glass is thinner. So are u using thicker ribbon to make up the difference?

Not sure if all glass is cut perfect or if inconsistencies are expected. So a tip for u that my buddy & I did which helped was to lay the glass in place with the spacers but without the ribbon. Dry fit it I guess it can be called. This gave us the opportunity to see exactly where “my” glass would lay. We took note & placed ribbon according.  

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, the spacers in the ribbon package I purchased were not big enough to center my glass (top to bottom) in the opening. Glad I did the dry fit thing. My glass woulda ended up too low in the opening. 

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks David

I dry fit the glass today without the ribbon, which gave me a good indication as to where I needed to position the ribbon sealer.  Turns out, it needed to be positioned on the inside edge of the pinch weld.  The setting blocks were the right height for the rear window, but were too tall for the windshield; I had to cut them down. 

I bought the 5/16 round bead ribbon sealer as discussed in previous threads on windshield install.  Hopefully, the windshield will sit at the right level.

Summit did not need me to ship the broken windshields back.  They just told me to dispose of them. 

Doug

• Like 1

You have to be careful to position the sealer right on the edge of the glass, or it will show past the stainless

trim when you are done. The way the factory did it is they put the ribbon sealer on the glass, not the body, but I haven't tried that method.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, kdml said:

I bought the 5/16 round bead ribbon sealer as discussed in previous threads on windshield install.  Hopefully, the windshield will sit at the right level.

Please fill us in once u have the glass installed. I’m sure I’m not the only one who wants to know if the 5/16 ribbon will work on the thinner glass. Thx again. 

I installed the windshield today.  The 5/16 ribbon appeared to work well.  Attached is a picture of how the upper trim looks with the windshield installed.  It's almost flush with the body.

The only spot where I was not entirely pleased with the install is the two lower corners of the windshield, where the glass curves.  It was hard to get the glass to contact the ribbon well.  It was if the ribbon needed to be bigger in this section or the curve in the glass was not aligned well to the curve in the pinch weld.  It's tough to see in the picture I attached, but the contact with the ribbon in the center of the picture is not as wide as the sections to the left and right.  I tried a heat gun to soften the nearby ribbon to get it to compress further, with no luck.  I will probably add some sealer in the corners to ensure there are no leaks in the future.

Thanks

Doug

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Thx for the update Doug

Ribbon contact looks good in second pic. But I am using my phone. I will have to see the pic on my computer. Maybe then I can see what u are talking about. 

The buddy who helped me with my glass had done glass installs before. His garage had a free bay in it & I thought “sweet, some shade to work in.” Nope…He made me position my car outside in a manner where the sun was heating everything up before install. I was sweating my b@!!’s off haha. But he explained why. This allowed for more even heating if all components.

Even with that heat, I too had a couple trouble areas. But we simply kept applying even pressure where it needed. It took a little massaging. But it worked out. 

Instead of the heat gun try leaving it in the sun for a couple hours. Then with the trim off gently push on glass

• Like 1

I'll pipe in with an update on my windshield replacement.  I had mine replaced a few weeks ago, and it turned out great.

I bought the windshield through Summit.  It was a screaming deal: only $133 delivered to CANADA, all duties and taxes in!  That's an unbelievable deal.  The windshield I got had the LOF logo in the lower right corner, just as it should.  The tint and shade band are perfect.  

Luckily my windshield arrived in perfect condition as I was fearful it would arrive broken.  Although it took about 8 weeks to get here it was worth the wait!

I had a glass installer put it in. Although I do admire those of you who have taken on this job yourself, I figured it was worth paying a pro to do it right. The cost for the install was only $125. My installer did NOT use the 3M butyl tape. He used urethane.  He asserted that urethane is superior because it can be added as needed to fill gaps and won't distort and create leaks over time.  So far there are no water leaks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Here's the view through my old pitted windshield.  Note the multitude of freckles and wiper rash:

image.png.5a6c4598ee45c73b5cb67ac4bd0090dc.png

Now here's the view through the new windshield.  Nice and crystal clear!

image.png.47580a0beba06661ae2b53160162f064.png

From outside the car:

image.png.89c8b7d0e2e3fecf3819cf23ad121a76.png

Anyone considering a new windshield for their '63-'65 Riviera should act fast and seize the Summit Racing deal.  You won't be disappointed!

• Like 1

Too late…I posted on the other windshield thread that I drug my feet & when I finally got off my a$$ the prices had already been jacked up. Oh well…live & learn

Your windshield looks amazing btw. Love it!! I envy u guys who got the screaming deal haha