erniet

Cast steel step with the word MAXWELL inscribed on it

Posted (edited)

I collect old cast steel steps from early cars (horseless carriages) and buggy steps that have names inscribed in them.  I recently acquired a step that says "Maxwell".  I would like to know which model car it was used on and year(s) of production.

Thanks, Ernie1223789330_Maxwellfront.thumb.JPG.4b280f415641fe16ea8441c50edcb3f7.JPG

Edited by erniet
Spelling problem (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Nice find. I believe this is very early. I saw one on a 1905 Maxwell Model H a long time ago that if I remember right was like this one. I know people have parts books out there that could verify that  but my guess would be 1905 and 1906  Model HA touring car. I know they used step plates for several years after that maybe up until 1911 but don't think they had Maxwell embossed on them after initial years of production.

Edited by JO BO
change add year (see edit history)

I have an nice pair of these if someone needs them I would sell or trade them.

Is there any chance anyone has a photo of one of the cars that has this step on it?  I'm looking for a photo to place beside my step. 

Or if someone wouldn't mind sending me a copy of a parts book that illustrates this step would be appreciated.  I'm not looking for the entire book just something in print showing this step would be great.

Thanks

I agree that this is likely very early - and a great find!  That step is a work of art. You might want to look around on autopaper.com to see if you can find pictures of the early Maxwell models. If they don't have what you're looking for on their website, you can message them through the site and ask them to check their inventory for specific things.

My 1908 NC 2 cylinder roadster has a similar looking step plate, but it also has underside bosses to guide the brake rods.

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 5/10/2019 at 10:43 PM, Gleaner said:

I have an nice pair of these if someone needs them I would sell or trade them.

Gleaner, if yours has these features I am interested.