Sign in to follow this  
OldGerman

Wanted, 1963 Buick Riviera Owners Manual.

Recommended Posts

Does anybody has an owners manual left over or can provide a good scan (.tif, .pdf.) or copy ?

A link to a shop dealing with this kind of stuff would be welcome as well.

It is not easy to find this stuff in Europe. 

 

Thank you,

Frank

 

Happy Easter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, OldGerman said:

Does anybody has an owners manual left over or can provide a good scan (.tif, .pdf.) or copy ?

A link to a shop dealing with this kind of stuff would be welcome as well.

It is not easy to find this stuff in Europe. 

 

Thank you,

Frank

 

Happy Easter

 

Hi Frank,

 

Have you tried e-bay? If getting items shipped to Germany from our e-bay is a problem. I would be happy to help out. I could purchase whatever manuals you need and then ship them to you. I would suggest in addition to the owner;s manual getting the Chassis Manual and the Body Manual as well. You can get both of those on CD or hard copy. 

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bill,

Thank you, i do have the Shop Service manual about chassis and Body. That is a big help.!

yes I tried eBay.  All online Shops are loacated in USA.

cost is about 25 to 40 $, plus shipping.

I could provide an address from a friend in Michigan and pick it up myself on my next visit in September.

 

 

Frank

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill,

Thank you .

That is interesting. This links did not Show up on my search. 

I Need to change setting in my ipad I guess.

I will follow up.

 

Frank 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, OldGerman said:

Hi Bill,

Thank you, i do have the Shop Service manual about chassis and Body. That is a big help.!

yes I tried eBay.  All online Shops are loacated in USA.

cost is about 25 to 40 $, plus shipping.

I could provide an address from a friend in Michigan and pick it up myself on my next visit in September.

 

 

Frank

 

 

Frank,

 

I have shipped several things I have sold on e-bay overseas and International 1st Class Postage through the United States Postal Service is very reasonable. An Owner's Manual is very small and light so it should not be that costly. This service is provided for sellers on e-bay and is very simple for them to do through e-bay. They should be able to easily accommodate you. Check with the seller before you buy the item about the overseas shipping and how they would do it. If they give you trouble about doing this find a different seller.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill and Frank,

 

  I dont sell items on Ebay (yet) but my brother restores and sells antique clocks shipping same all over the world. He told me he was very puzzled by the fact the shipping quotes he was receiving at the USPS counter were sometimes twice the cost as compared to using the Ebay shipping program. I have confirmed this through several friends that sell on Ebay and ship internationally. Apparently, much like Amazon and other large volume shippers, Ebay has negotiated reduced shipping rates through the USPS for their sellers, including international service.

 My point is a buyer overseas may be better off purchasing from an Ebay seller including shipping as opposed to having a private domestic friend purchase and then ship as an individual.

 

Tom Mooney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Bill and Frank,

 

  I dont sell items on Ebay (yet) but my brother restores and sells antique clocks shipping same all over the world. He told me he was very puzzled by the fact the shipping quotes he was receiving at the USPS counter were sometimes twice the cost as compared to using the Ebay shipping program. I have confirmed this through several friends that sell on Ebay and ship internationally. Apparently, much like Amazon and other large volume shippers, Ebay has negotiated reduced shipping rates through the USPS for their sellers, including international service.

 My point is a buyer overseas may be better off purchasing from an Ebay seller including shipping as opposed to having a private domestic friend purchase and then ship as an individual.

 

Tom Mooney

 

Tom,

 

If you read my post previous to yours that is the point I was making to Frank. 1st Class International shipping via USPS through e-bay is a good deal. The 1st Class International weight limits and package size are much more liberal than the domestic limits as well.

 

Bill

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

 

Tom,

 

If you read my post previous to yours that is the point I was making to Frank. 1st Class International shipping via USPS through e-bay is a good deal. The 1st Class International weight limits and package size are much more liberal than the domestic limits as well.

 

Bill

 

 

Hi Bill,

  Oh, sorry, just skimmed the thread...1st class does not provide a tracking number, correct?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Bill,

  Oh, sorry, just skimmed the thread...1st class does not provide a tracking number, correct?

Tom

 

Hi Tom,

 

You do get a tracking number with 1st Class packages. With international posts the post office can only guarantee tracking while in the United States. After it leaves the United States it is hit or miss as to whether you can get tracking info. It all depends on the country(ies) it travels through or to. Some you can still get tracking info, some not.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

 

Hi Tom,

 

You do get a tracking number with 1st Class packages. With international posts the post office can only guarantee tracking while in the United States. After it leaves the United States it is hit or miss as to whether you can get tracking info. It all depends on the country(ies) it travels through or to. Some you can still get tracking info, some not.

 

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. I was told at the post office no tracking with 1st class....which is why I always ship priority. The shipping game seems to change constantly, thanks again,

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Thanks for the info Bill. I was told at the post office no tracking with 1st class....which is why I always ship priority. The shipping game seems to change constantly, thanks again,

Tom

 

Hi Tom,

 

I don't know why they would tell you that. There is a tracking number on the labels that I send. I went to e-bay and got the tracking number from an item I sold and sent 1st class. I copied the tracking number and went to the USPS website and plugged it in to their tracking feature. I got the status and all of the tracking history from the time it left Stevens Point until it was delivered in Geln Ellyn IL. I can't believe that this is something that the USPS does just for e-bay. See pics. 

 

Bill

 

 

IMG_5363.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5365.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill,

  I`m not doubting that you are correct. I`m sure I was given bad info (from a government agency? Really?) or perhaps things have changed since I inquired. I will inquire again...but I wouldnt doubt tracking could have been an added feature added to the agreement between Ebay and the USPS. I`ll inquire again,

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Bill,

  I`m not doubting that you are correct. I`m sure I was given bad info (from a government agency? Really?) or perhaps things have changed since I inquired. I will inquire again...but I wouldnt doubt tracking could have been an added feature added to the agreement between Ebay and the USPS. I`ll inquire again,

Tom

 

Tom,

 

Yes, it is hard to believe that a government agency would give wrong or misleading information. I am thinking that certain 1st class does not get tracking like letters or large envelopes. Maybe it is an e-bay thing. I have shipped 1st class from the post office from time to time and don't recall if there was a tracking number or not. I would be curious to know what you find out. 

 

Bill

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Bill, Tom,

 

I will check out ebay USA and will simply provide an adress in USA as mentioned above, if international shipping is not listed.

I guess books , brochures and literature has a different shipping rates rather than hardware in a box .

should be much less expensive.

 

Frank

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, OldGerman said:

Hello Bill, Tom,

 

I will check out ebay USA and will simply provide an adress in USA as mentioned above, if international shipping is not listed.

I guess books , brochures and literature has a different shipping rates rather than hardware in a box .

should be much less expensive.

 

Frank

 

Hi Frank,

  Yes, there is a shipping option called "media mail" which is specifically geared to literature and is much less expensive...but service level depending on circumstances can also much lower,

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might consider getting an electronic copy in addition to (or in place of) the actual manual.  IMHO, the real thing is easier to read, but the ability to enlarge illustrations (e.g. wiring diagrams) and to print pages or sections (so you can refer to them while you work without getting your original dirty) is well worth the small cost.  I have no idea if Rock Auto ships internationally, but I can recommend the manuals from Dave Graham Auto Literature that they sell.  They (or others) might also have the manual available for download, so there would be no worries at al about shipping.

 

You might also think about sending $10 (or whatever) to Tom Mooney to get copies of the various service bulletins that he has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldGerman said:

Hello Bill, Tom,

 

I will check out ebay USA and will simply provide an adress in USA as mentioned above, if international shipping is not listed.

I guess books , brochures and literature has a different shipping rates rather than hardware in a box .

should be much less expensive.

 

Frank

 

 

 

Frank,

 

All of the listings links I gave you yesterday shipped to Germany. I don't think you will have a problem finding someone that will ship to you directly. Media Mail (books,brochures etc.) is only available domestically in the US. You will have to go 1st class international. As discussed above postage through e-bay is very reasonable. Especially for such a small piece as an owner's manual, which could be shipped in a large envelope.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 1:26 PM, OldGerman said:

Does anybody has an owners manual left over or can provide a good scan (.tif, .pdf.) or copy ?

A link to a shop dealing with this kind of stuff would be welcome as well.

It is not easy to find this stuff in Europe. 

 

Thank you,

Frank

 

Happy Easter

Frank, are you referring to the brown cover owner’s manual that is about 8 “ long, 3 1/2” wide, and about 3/4”’thick? The manual would fit in the glove box.

i have an owner’s manual, but not for sale. I could scan the pages and send the pages to you electronically. I’d need your email. I could send the file via “ Lockbox” a free software that takes very large files.

Bob Burnopp 

Lutherville Md

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

 

 

Frank,

 

All of the listings links I gave you yesterday shipped to Germany. I don't think you will have a problem finding someone that will ship to you directly. Media Mail (books,brochures etc.) is only available domestically in the US. You will have to go 1st class international. As discussed above postage through e-bay is very reasonable. Especially for such a small piece as an owner's manual, which could be shipped in a large envelope.

 

Bill

Google M-bags at the USPS. You can use M-bags for International media mail. You must follow DMM rules or you get ...jammed. ( DMM Domestic Mail Manual).

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Frank, are you referring to the brown cover owner’s manual that is about 8 “ long, 3 1/2” wide, and about 3/4”’thick? The manual would fit in the glove box.

i have an owner’s manual, but not for sale. I could scan the pages and send the pages to you electronically. I’d need your email. I could send the file via “ Lockbox” a free software that takes very large files.

Bob Burnopp 

Lutherville Md

 

Thank you Bob, 

I Sent you a PM.

Frank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 8:04 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Thanks for the info Bill. I was told at the post office no tracking with 1st class....which is why I always ship priority. The shipping game seems to change constantly, thanks again,

Tom

Tom, spent 31 years in the arcane postal industry. The DMM ( Domestic Mail Manual ) in print is as thick as two metro size telephone books. Tedious work to determine the best way and best rate. You are right some companies and industries in the USA do have different postal rates. For instance farmers can ship baby chics by mail. Shoe stores have negotiated shipping rates for shoes. Don’t mean to belabor......

Turbinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Google M-bags at the USPS. You can use M-bags for International media mail. You must follow DMM rules or you get ...jammed. ( DMM Domestic Mail Manual).

Turbinator

 

I did not mean you can't ship media internationally. It's that you can not use "Media Mail" and its corresponding cheaper rates to send  to send media internationally, it is only available for sending media domestically. You can ship media internationally in an envelope, in a box or using the M-bags as suggested, etc.  We are only talking an owner's manual. Should not be very difficult or expensive.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill, told you this stuff was tedious.

in any case I volunteered to scan in  the 63 Owners Manual pdf format and send it to OldGerman via Dropbox. The electronic transmission eliminates the debate regarding best way and least expensive and the Gent gets a copy of the owner’s manual he can print, collate, bind, and he has a manual.

Turbinator

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank, I’ve got to find the manual first. Won’t be long

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this