Lost AUBURN Boat Tail body?

1937hd45

Well!!!!!  That is something.  I bet someone got a lot of enjoyment out of that.  Certainly better looking than the heart shaped grill custom jobs.

Very cool, although the cowl work seems pretty hackey. I also find it interesting in these old photos that nobody seems to treat their cars very well. Someone obviously spent a ton of money building this thing, yet they just throw it up on the curb and chew up the tires when they park it as if it's some kind of beater.

How many different donor cars can you name?

1938 Ford

Auburn

1941 Buick fender skirts

Pontiac? hood ornament

Bumpers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Is that a 36 Auburn with a 38 Ford front end? Or a 38 Ford with an Auburn body?

Those guys will trick you. I love major projects and regret how close I came to buying this a few years ago and letting it slip away.

ShortInt.JPG.5d15fa5e92cd26fa9a7b635f9f23d9cf.JPG

008001.thumb.jpg.af5bf6953007272b23b6c1af6618a090.jpg

048.thumb.JPG.67437178ec6e4f038966b882e3783f9c.JPG

Not a Lincoln Cosmo with a Cadillac engine - a Lincoln body on a '41 Cadillac chassis.

Ahhhhh, the rose colored glasses.

Bernie

• 9 months later...

Auburn and Cord abortions weren't too uncommon in the '50's when the cars could be bought on the cheap.  Pictured is a '50's custom dubbed the "Cord-O-Matic".  It housed an Olds Rocket 88 with Hydramatic and a Columbia 2 speed rear end.  The front clip was from a '47 Lincoln.  I bought it in badly deteriorated condition to salvage the remaining Cord parts on it.  During the dismantling I melted off 32 pounds of lead!  Surprisingly there has been a reincarnation.  I sold the body hulk to a friend, whose father had owned it in the '40's when it was a real Cord.  It is now a well executed Cord resto-rod.  Other examples which I have pictures of somewhere are a first generation Auburn Speedster crossed with an air cooled Franklin, and a Cord 810 front clip on a Jeepster convertible.

MVC-009F.JPG