Having a ‘butchers’ - ‘65 Riviera build sheets?

moran75

Hi all

Has anyone ever found the factory build sheet inside their ‘65? If so where did you find it? Is there a common location I wonder....

I’m soon to remove back seat (seatbelts) and some of the carpet up front (lifting console re courtesy light) so will have a ‘butchers’ as we say in London 

‘butchers hook’ = look

..think Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins...

Cheers

Kev

Edited by moran75 (see edit history)

Had my back seat out; nothing there. As a matter of fact, all I have ever found was a small tag on the back seat seatback that said something about Fisher Body. I think Buick wanted these cars delivered to dealers as clean as possible, and had all the junk thrown away at the end of assembly. In those days, a build sheet was just that, junk after the car was built. That's what's awesome about Pontiac though; Pontiac Historical Services can give you all kinds of history on their cars; Buick, there doesn't seem to be much to go on.

When I had my 66 Impala, the forum guys were always writing about finding their build sheets and protect o plates.  I guess for Buick Riviera's, we are lucky if we have the original window sticker.

Good luck in your search.   I'll be tearing out my interior in a couple months.

Chris

It is doubtful that you will find one.  They weren't common back in the day.  You may find a tag under the back seat with a trim code for the upholstery but that is not a build sheet.  A window sticker and protecto-plate are more common.  You can determine some of the factory installed options by de-coding the data plate on the firewall.

never a build sheet with mine, and my Dad and I bought it new.  Protecto plate, built expressly for, and window sticker, as well as the bill of sale

Funny, we all know that the first generation mufflers go bad quickly:  Well my Dad got a midas muffler right off with a lifetime guarantee. Muffler after muffler was installed free by Midas.  Well YEARS later, I had the car, the muffler was bad:  I went to Midas and showed them the guarantee, and sort of as a joke mentioned that although my Dad's name and mine were the same, the guarantee was for my Dad. They immediately replied: Don't give another thought we will honor the guarantee!   SO the car has had only one paid for muffler in its life and about ten or so free ones!!!  What a guarantee!

1 hour ago, dr914 said:

never a build sheet with mine, and my Dad and I bought it new.  Protecto plate, built expressly for, and window sticker, as well as the bill of sale

Funny, we all know that the first generation mufflers go bad quickly:  Well my Dad got a midas muffler right off with a lifetime guarantee. Muffler after muffler was installed free by Midas.  Well YEARS later, I had the car, the muffler was bad:  I went to Midas and showed them the guarantee, and sort of as a joke mentioned that although my Dad's name and mine were the same, the guarantee was for my Dad. They immediately replied: Don't give another thought we will honor the guarantee!   SO the car has had only one paid for muffler in its life and about ten or so free ones!!!  What a guarantee!

I lost count of the number of mufflers and resonators that Midas replaced on the 1964 that I owned for 24 years.  I definitely got my monies worth!  The same thing with my 1971 Monte Carlo which I bought new.  Two years ago I brought the Monte in yet again, and this time they installed stainless steel components because they didn't want to ever see me again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

It is doubtful that you will find one.  They weren't common back in the day.  You may find a tag under the back seat with a trim code for the upholstery but that is not a build sheet.  A window sticker and protecto-plate are more common.  You can determine some of the factory installed options by de-coding the data plate on the firewall.

Here is an example of what Pat is talking about. This is the tag I found behind the back seat of my 1963. Riviera=747 with 726=silver interior.

Bill 

IMG_5362.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

Silver interior is the "cat's meow!"

Pat,

Right now it is only a purr as the previous owner reupholstered the seats in white. It is an attractive combination with white, silver and black. I get many compliments on the interior. My wife has told me she will kill me if I redo the seats in silver as they were originally. I am a stock purist at heart and will get them back to original. Don't tell her please.

Bill

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

Your secret is safe Bill!

Thanks Pat. I have already started acquiring some of the items necessary for the transition. I have the covers for the front buckets and new upper seat foam for the front buckets as well. 

Bill

Riv 7.jpg

Silver Seat Upholstery 3.jpg

Silver Seat Upholstery 4.jpg

Edited by Riviera63
correct error (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Pat,

Right now it is only a purr as the previous owner reupholstered the seats in white. It is an attractive combination with white, silver and black. I get many compliments on the interior. My wife has told me she will kill me if I redo the seats in silver as they were originally. I am a stock purist at heart and will get them back to original. Don't tell her please.

Bill

You should be able to sell the white seat covers and recoup some of your restoration costs! They look like really good covers.

3 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

You should be able to sell the white seat covers and recoup some of your restoration costs! They look like really good covers.

That is part of the master plan. They are in good condition and I believe they were put on just before I bought the car in 2014. Hopefully, this will ease the tension of the "why did you replace perfectly good seat covers, the car was fine the way it was" conversation. 

Bill

58 minutes ago, DrownedRiv said:

Bill, where did you get your seat covers and sear foam from?

Nick

Nick, I don’t know where Bill got his from but I bought mine (‘63 black leather) at Clark’s Corvair, highly recommended.

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?show_page=R-12

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, DrownedRiv said:

Bill, where did you get your seat covers and sear foam from?

Nick

Hi Nick,

I actually got the seat covers and the seat foam from forum members. My seat covers were originally purchased from OPGI but, were manufactured by Distinctive Industries. The seat foam originally came from Clark's Corvair. You can get the seat foam and upholstery from Clark's Corvair, CARS, Inc. or OPGI. They all carry those items.

Bill