John Jacques

Distributor problems

Good Morning to all, I am a new member to this forum and am in need of HELP. The question I have may sound like it's being asked by someone that is inexperienced in auto repairs which I am not, but on the other hand, I am in no way an expert. Here's my question, I am having difficulties in installing a distributor in my 1937 Buick 46S. I previously have removed, then reinstalled the distributor a number of times successfully, but now all of a sudden I can't seem to have it fall into the correct position. It does drop but not all the way, stopping about 3/8" from its final resting position. Anybody out there with a cure to my sudden stupidity?

Thanks, Jakes

1 hour ago, John Jacques said:

Good Morning to all, I am a new member to this forum and am in need of HELP. The question I have may sound like it's being asked by someone that is inexperienced in auto repairs which I am not, but on the other hand, I am in no way an expert. Here's my question, I am having difficulties in installing a distributor in my 1937 Buick 46S. I previously have removed, then reinstalled the distributor a number of times successfully, but now all of a sudden I can't seem to have it fall into the correct position. It does drop but not all the way, stopping about 3/8" from its final resting position. Anybody out there with a cure to my sudden stupidity?

Thanks, Jakes

The drive tang on the bottom of the distributor shaft isn't aligned with the oil pump drive shaft. Use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the oil pump drive shaft slightly to align with the distributor drive tang.

I am aware that the drive tang must be in alignment with the oil pump shaft. I have inserted the distributor to where the tang falls into the oil pump shaft and the distributor shaft will not move (by hand), but like I mentioned, its about 3/8" from seating. I'm able to raise the distributor just enough out so that the tang is out of the oil pump shaft then I can rotate the shaft slightly. Any position that the distributor is installed it always fall short by 3/8" from being correctly installed. I set the timing (on the flywheel) at "Advanced" and made sure #3 exhaust valve started to open prior to dropping in the distributor  to #1 plug wire. I am not that familiar with this straight 8 motor and wondering if there is something I'm missing.

Had three other car guys try to install this distributor without success. Even with the distributor installed 3/8" from being seated, when the engine is rolled over by hand and the rotor turns (like it should), it still doesn't seat. With the distributor out, the oil pump is pumping oil up and to each rocker. If it wasn't pumping then I might suspect the oil pump. Oh yeah, and when I had the distributor out, the oil pump shaft did not wobble sideways or up/down. I'm stumped!!

Jakes

I'm taking a leap, but cannot be anything but failure of the distributor shaft and oil pump shaft to key together, typically a 3/8' overlap. As mentioned key is getting the tang into the poon! 

My distributor is offset in my Dodge truck engine... one way only will it drop into the intermediate shaft.