Buick garage damaged in storm

Barney Eaton

Northeast Texas has some storms on Saturday and I just learned that Buick owner Cecil Miles had damage to his place in Alto TX

Cecil is a former director of the Houston Buick club and owns a 1939 Special convertible as well as several other collectable cars.

Here is a link to pictures of all the storm damage......   https://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/alto-area-begins-recovery-after-three-tornados-turn-it-to-a-war-zone/

SJE_1301_00_11_48_07_Still028.jpg

SJE_1301_00_11_56_21_Still030.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magic marouke said:

I monitor the weather each day before I decide to take my Buick work or use the beater truck .

would like to get a storage container sometime . its probably the best protection you can have

Don't those metal containers sweat a lot?  It appears to me that the sealed containers cause rust and corrosion issues.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Don't those metal containers sweat a lot?  It appears to me that the sealed containers cause rust and corrosion issues.  

If you vent them and spray the ceiling with foam they work great.  I have a friend that keeps a 1910 Winton in one all year long here in Michigan.

If you do not vent them they will sweat and drip from the ceiling.

3 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

If you vent them and spray the ceiling with foam they work great.  I have a friend that keeps a 1910 Winton in one all year long here in Michigan.

If you do not vent them they will sweat and drip from the ceiling.

If you vent them though in the winter when we get those crazy warmups from -10 to 50 degrees and rain,  won't the car still sweat inside,  since the air temperature also changes faster so condensation forms on the car? 

He has not had a problem.  He puts two vent holes on either end of the box opposite sides about 8-10 inches diameter with screen to keep the critters out and at least one whirly type vent on the ceiling a few inches above the top of the box.  Sprays the whole ceiling plus about 1 ft down the sides with spray insulation.  Paint the top of the box white and he has no problems with condensation.l

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I was curious as even in wood garages cars will sweat ,  if you let the air change in them on those wicked temp swings, usually accompanied by 100 percent humidity. 

Yep, they all sweat unless in a heated garage.

Well a heavily insulated garage unheated as long as it's dry is good as well if you can't have heated (the best) as you get no sweating until the one day in the spring when you take the car out of storage from the winter.  I used to store one of my cars in a friends unheated basement that was bone dry and the only day it would sweat was on that day and I usually picked a slightly breezy 60 degree dry day outside.  You could see the sweat form then a dry line go right along behind it.  It took a couple of minutes for the whole car,  less the engine of course to dry right off.  It didn't hurt it was sunny as well.  The car was usually running as well so the engine dried off quickly as well as it came up to temperature. 

My choice is heated whenever possible.  I have my 28 by 50 foot garage super insulated and it takes just under a tank of kerosene to heat it for the winter and that was this winter where we averaged well below normal with the heat going on in the beginning of November and still on right now,  though the outside temperature is finally warmer so it rarely runs.   Makes it noice on hot summer days as well as the temp never goes above 72. 

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, JohnD1956 said:

we use them at work to store irrigation supplies . yea they can get really warm in the summer . think these have vents in the corners though . there's all sorts of things you can do with containers theses days . there's a Netflix show about people making homes out of them