I found a car that I'd love to own, but

Hudsy Wudsy

2 hours ago, Curti said:

Personally, I am a restorer. I pay attention to the smallest detail in order to do a car the way it sat on the showroom floor after dealer prep.  For me, originality is everything.  One must remember that a car is an inanimate object. 

It is as dead as a rock.  If a guy does not hit his wife, abuse his his children or kick his dog,  he can do what ever he pleases to his car.  Get over it ! 

Is that an Auburn, Cord, or Duesenberg you have pictured?

2 hours ago, Curti said:

My avatar is a 36 Auburn 

1935 and 1936 Auburn convertible sedans, convertible coupes and speedsters were among the most beautiful cars ever built.  I you can own one of them, I don't think your value will ever go down much.  Regular cars that your family and friends might have owned when you were growing up are a different matter.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

1935 and 1936 Auburn convertible sedans, convertible coupes and speedsters were among the most beautiful cars ever built.  I you can own one of them, I don't think your value will ever go down much.  Regular cars that your family and friends might have owned when you were growing up are a different matter.

Curti is perhaps the leader in reproduction (and original) 34-36 Auburn parts www.auburnsmidwest.com  

• Like 1

Curti, would you 

On 5/26/2019 at 9:10 AM, Curti said:

Personally, I am a restorer. I pay attention to the smallest detail in order to do a car the way it sat on the showroom floor after dealer prep.  For me, originality is everything.  One must remember that a car is an inanimate object. 

It is as dead as a rock.  If a guy does not hit his wife, abuse his his children or kick his dog,  he can do what ever he pleases to his car.  Get over it ! 

Would you be as cavalier if instead of the car being a mere '39 Chrysler it was a '35 Auburn Phaeton on an S10 frame? We're all just custodians of our treasures no matter how humble they may be.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Cavalier Ya !  I once knew a wonderful man in Clarksville TN. name Dotson Guinn.  He contacted me because he was building a street rod from a running 1934 Auburn phaeton.  We struck a deal and I went to Clarksville.  He told me to check in at the Quality Inn. I did , the room was paid for.  About 50 miles out of Clarksville, high gear went out of my 98 Ram  diesel . The next morning was Monday , he told me to take the truck   to the Dodge dealer in town.  It was fixed by noon at no charge. What I am getting at is, Dotson   is truly a wonderful individual.  Should I really have bemoan him for what what he wanted to do?  The result was I met a friend, He got rid of the parts for his price,  I resold the parts to 

many Auburn owners & club members. It was a win , win, ,win deal ! 

Anyone here live in Clarksville that knows Dotson with that Corvette powered 34 Auburn phaeton?  Everyone in Clarksville seemed to know him.

Edited by Curti (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Back when I was involved with British motorcycles I was always on the lookout for Triumph and BSA based choppers. They were very out of style in the 1980's and 90's and could sometimes be picked up for peanuts. 

Great parts bikes. I sometimes found the engines were like new inside. People would build them in the late 1960's and early 1970's from nearly new bikes and then find they were no fun at all to ride. They got stuck in basements and garages for a couple of decades until the owners got tired of tripping over them. 

It might happen with some modified cars as well, particularly cars with impractical engine swaps like this Chrysler. It can always be swapped back to a stock chassis as long as the owner is stuck with it long enough in its present form and drops the price to something that represents the value of the remaining stock parts.

Greg in Canada

• Thanks 1

To complement the '39 New Yorker that I started this thread with, here's a sharp '39 DeSoto opera coupe for sale on C/L in WI. It's a shame that at $16,500 it comes with wooden running boards and purple paint. Note the chevron tail lights a year before Ford had them:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/cto/d/balsam-lake-1939-desoto-coupe/6877420911.html

01616_jgez35LXIvU_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)