Hudsy Wudsy

I found a car that I'd love to own, but

But what? You want to enjoy the car and have fun with it, BUT, the Chevy motor is stopping you. Do you plan on restoring the car? If you really love the car as you say, buy it. More and more people I talk to, are getting away from restorations and point judging and enjoying their cars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A blown big block definitely isn't for everyone.  7 or 8 MPG if you are on the throttle. What about the rest of the drive train ? It probably puts out an easy 650 H.P. that isn't a mild 350  with a 2 bbl. Also I see it has a Camaro clip, not an antique car anymore. Someone's Rod dream, now the next owner's possible nightmare.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The heart and character of the original car is gone,..Now, it's just a shell that looks like a '39 Chrysler.... however it is still desirable to someone?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

But what? You want to enjoy the car and have fun with it, BUT, the Chevy motor is stopping you. Do you plan on restoring the car? If you really love the car as you say, buy it. More and more people I talk to, are getting away from restorations and point judging and enjoying their cars.

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed to be seen with it. A big block Chevy in a rare, desirable senior Chrysler (with ultra-rare side mounts) strikes me as just plain childish. No, I wouldn't enjoy the car and have fun with it as it is.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I will say that virtually every guy who brings a hot rod in to sell in my shop says the same thing: it's boring. I don't know what their goal was when they started or what they expected, but it's rarely what they want when it's done. I don't even think they know what they want, only that they've convinced themselves that an old car isn't what they want. That mindset probably comes from what they've heard from other people or things they assume about old cars being unreliable or hard to drive (you should hear how many grown men whine about needing power steering, but that's another story for another day). 

I bet the owner of that Chrysler will say it drives like a modern car. Unfortunately, I already have a modern car.

What I don't have is a car that drives like a 1940 Chrysler New Yorker. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I actually appreciate Hudsy Wudsy's perspective. I don't even like seeing fuzzy dice in a front window. (Really :D )

But I'm not an "originality commie"...my cars have to be functional and affordable. I put an aftermarket radiator in my survivor because I wanted to do right by the engine during more demanding driving conditions. I can always put the old one back in after I get it recored. I saw an old Galaxie on another forum that was beautiful and stock, though not original, but the 22+ inch wheels weren't my thing. A simple change the steel wheels and covers wouldn't be difficult, though.

That Chrysler, however, is a little different. It comes from the "every old car is a dragster" perspective, which I don't buy into, even though I love the old hot rods and gassers from the 40's, 50's and 60's (that was a different era.)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed to be seen with it. A big block Chevy in a rare, desirable senior Chrysler (with ultra-rare side mounts) strikes me as just plain childish. No, I wouldn't enjoy the car and have fun with it as it is.

Put a Hudson motor in it.:D

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

7 or 8 MPG

If I got 8 mpg I would be happy and I am running stock original.

• Like 1

If you like it buy it, keep the hood closed if the BBC bothers you. Bob 

• Haha 2

I think just once I'd like to see someone buy a well-known hot rod that has won awards and then restore it to stock configuration. I would enjoy the teeth gnashing of the community that claims it takes a real man to cut up a car and who think that we're kooks for not wanting a small block Chevy in everything we drive.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Put a Hudson motor in it.:D

SHHH we're saving those for Auburns.  If you put it out there everyone will want one ,  the price will go up, then we won't be able to buy them on the cheap. 

• Haha 3

But you sold the darn car on me.  Really wish things were different and we could have done some horse trading with my Cord.  I know it wasn't original and would always have that stigmatism attached to it,  but honestly for another 10G and a bunch of labor,  I could have been driving an Auburn Speedster.  I think original ones are trending in the 300G range.  60G or 300G.  Quite a gap I don't see bridging in the near future without some long lost uncles big inheritance. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have nothing against traditional rods, as long as they were built a long time ago or recently built with one of the new steel body's . I can't see taking a decent stock Model A , 32 Ford, 33/34 Ford Etc. and rodding it. Happens all the time unfortunately. I see even 40 Ford coupe body's are now being reproduced. What's a hot rod anyway ?

Greg in Canada

s8-760x638.jpg

1911-Elgin-Auto-Races-Aug-25-26-1911-Ireland-Driver-Killed-Otorlon-hurt-in-Practice-Aug-21-Staver-Chicago-217-RPPC-2.jpg

18caf12b29cf5d3fbd97d82e5443f29a.jpg

thumb_IMG_2161_1024.jpg

• Like 1

I saved this '32 ET from becoming a SBC powered hot rod. He had the original engine ready to pull!

20190405_172022.jpg

20190405_171921.jpg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, sftamx1 said:

I saved this '32 ET from becoming a SBC powered hot rod. He had the original engine ready to pull!

Four lug wheels, that's an eight. It is really a peppy car to drive.

12 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Honestly, I'd be embarrassed to be seen with it.

Just driving along on the road or when you stopped and opened the hood?

• Haha 1

Very pretty car that can be used as is , but my personal view if I was going to buy it would be that I would have to know where I could  buy/replace all the parts that were removed so i could bring it back to its original state over a period of time - complete engine and transmission, front seats, wheels(?) . the rest of the car is good but needs work - paint etc. so you have to consider that a factor as well. An 8 cylinder Chrysler with a factory overdrive option from that year is an absolutely  marvelous thing indeed. I think priced at what it is is a bit high if you want to consider getting it back to original as I mentioned. Best wishes in your decision.

• Like 1

Unfortunately with the Camaro front clip you would probably need to change the entire frame. I doubt it was a bolt in. You are buying the body, and hopefully get a 1/2 decent price for the engine / trans combo. A very round about way to buy a car. Mind you that engine probably cost $12,000.00 at least to build so it is no doubt worth 1/2 of that to the right person.

Greg in Canada

3 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Unfortunately with the Camaro front clip you would probably need to change the entire frame.

Whether it was a Camaro clip or Pinto crossmember, those modified cars really messed up the Ackerman Principles. I have seen some that had to back up twice or more to turn into a driveway.

Ed Moore, in Bellingham above, helped my Daughter out when she first moved to Boston. She had a Buick Roadmaster I gave her and it got whacked in the rear door by a snowplow. I called Ed and asked if he could help her get a door. He asked "What color?" He had a gray one.

About 10 years before Ed had bought a '33 Terraplane Eight chassis that I was planning to build a Railton body on. Some of that money went into Christmas presents for her.

A note on my Railton job, Mr. Bell, the owner of the Miss Daisy Hudson offered to let me measure up his Railton for my repop

Where the heck are you getting these giant numbers on the engine in that car? Easy 650 horsepower? $12,000? I see a used big block of unknown specification with a $400 swap meet B&M blower on it, although "thumper" cams are designed to sound like top fuel dragsters at idle without making the power that comes with it. I'd be surprised if it runs right, never mind putting out serious power. I have a working TH400 transmission in my store room that I bought for $150 and a running LS5 454 that I got for $700 (both of which I contemplated dumping into my Lincoln when its engine's future was questionable). The parts are neither rare nor valuable and I can almost guarantee that the guy didn't dump an expensive, pro-built, high-horsepower, well-tuned engine into that particular car.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Matt , you must go to much better swap meets than I do. Last C.J. I built was $ 9,500.00 { the good old days when the looney was close to par} in parts and machine work, excluding the cost of the core, and no forced induction just a single 4160 Holley on a sidewinder. And it ran 550 on a chassis dyno with a S/S legal cam and stock C.J. manifolds into street legal turbo's. Mind you there was also a second hand set of Dove heads I got a very good deal on . A blower has to add 100 H.P. on a bad day, and Chevy's generally breathe better than 428 Fords. But yes, there are lots of tired, bone yard parts out there.

Greg in Canada

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Unfortunately with the Camaro front clip you would probably need to change the entire frame. I doubt it was a bolt in. You are buying the body, and hopefully get a 1/2 decent price for the engine / trans combo. A very round about way to buy a car. Mind you that engine probably cost $12,000.00 at least to build so it is no doubt worth 1/2 of that to the right person.

Greg in Canada

Camaro  sub frame is the proper term, a front clip is the hood, fenders, and grill assembly. 

• Like 1