Sign in to follow this  
Xander Wildeisen

$599.00 Good price?

I had the earlier two stroke version... they are a cute little thing. Parts for these are sorta hard to find though I do see more for the later V4 cars for sale... he states he has all the parts for restoration though so that's a plus! The motor is Ford unit. Seems like a fair price. I used to piss of the folks next to me at the car shows... got lots of public interested in the Saab while they kept their lawn chairs warm due to lack of interest in what they brought. A small car that draws interest for sure. 

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)

Who doesn't like four-on-the-tree?  Cool little car, but again, one can probably buy a complete, running version for less than the cost to restore this one.

https://bringatrailer.com/saab/96/

This black-plate 68 sold for $5900 a few months ago.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-saab-96-2/

1968_saab_96_1541003909d3ada4d93IMG_5334

1968_saab_96_15399140472c463ebb11eIMG_53

.1968_saab_96_1536004172d208495dIMG_4921_

1968_saab_96_1539913957df1473a02c463ebb1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Location will kill it unless someone local wants it. 

Bob

Been sitting in the back yard since 1978, You are right. The location has been killing it, since 1978

If only I were younger ot would be on a truck headed east - rust free shells are impossible to find in the northeast. The rust in the floor may be around the clutch pedal in which case it will eventually need a plate welded in for the clutch to work.Another weak point to check is the front coil towers  I had a '61 two stroke - you had to wait for the little red light to come on to get fuel and then you added a quart of oil to the gas tank and filled it up...never found a gas station attendant who would put the oil into the gas tank. Car was virtually unstoppable in snow and the quickest way around a corner was induced oversteer by pulling up on the emergency brake handle (with your thumb on the button)..... fun and almost idiot proof.

The only other car I have owned that came close was a LeCar...

Back in the day I was racing in an odd class on the dirt track.

I had a charger at the time with a 440 in it.

One of these showed up a few times and I was very impressed by it, Not so much the speed but it cornered better than just about anything.

I got behind him a couple of times and could get right on his bumper going into the turn, But that thing took a weird stance that made me think he was going to roll it over right in front of me.

But that was just the personality of the handling. I don't think he ever lifted to go around the corner.

Front wheel drive V4. Very difficult to pass.

Admittedly I'm a sucker for the seldom seen car. IMO what's not to like low mileage, rust free an at a parts car price. These cars have a dedicated following, especially in Europe. Southern Idaho is usually a pretty good place to get a solid car, with restoration potential. Sun damage is generally a limiting feature for a car that sits out, but this car seems to have fared better then most. 

Location-you're going to have to go somewhere to get a car. Old joke Boise, you can't get there from here. In reality the West is a different place, and it deserves to be explored. If this is the car for you, saddle up. In much of the "Inland Empire," there are still some great old time wrecking yards to explore, but do it now before they all disappear. I find some irony in the fact that someone who will not travel to get the right car, will often times spend many times as much, or take many hours more, to repair rust damage on the wrong car. 

• Like 2

Neighbors use to have them - I recall them saying a few things:  make sure it has a good floorpan (many do not) and the crankshaft runs on needle bearings and when the case wears they have a tendency to pile up on each other and pretty much turn everything to junk. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Neighbors use to have them - I recall them saying a few things:  make sure it has a good floorpan (many do not) and the crankshaft runs on needle bearings and when the case wears they have a tendency to pile up on each other and pretty much turn everything to junk. 

I believe it was the 2 cycle engine that had the needle bearings ( they used to advertise 7 moving parts) - the V4 is a Ford motor of German manufacture and last I knew it was still used in industrial applications. 

• Like 1

Right, two stroke has needle bearings, as most two strokes do, has to do with oil path to bearings when mixed with fuel for distribution. No oil pump, you know!

This V-4 is a normal four stroke, nothing weird about it. 😉

Now, four on the tree......😁

HEY GUYS.,,,,

Nothing left out here, Stay back in the east. Everything out here is spoken for !!!!!

• Haha 2