nick8086

Notre Dame - not car related

Thank you for posting, Jake. Yes, certainly does put car fires in historical perspective. I have not seen Notre Dame for fifty years. Had hoped to go again. I am sure everyone wanted to also. Your pictures are wonderful.   -   Carl 

Its been about twenty years since I was there,

To think that place was 850 years old and I think the news said it took 200 years to build.

A taxi driver in London joked to me that the US doesn't really have any history, to new.

That fire is a real shame.

About a year ago the city wasn't looking on the place too kindly. There was a building code violation against the church and something like a $1.5 million fine being demanded. Seems a couple hundred years ago the town the church originated in was annexed by the city without updating the city building permit for the continuous construction. The new building inspector calculated the fines and interest, then demanded payment. The search engines are cluttered with the fire and I can't find the article now. Funny how bipolar things can be.

I probably wasn't supposed to remember that.

Bernie

Tragic loss of an historic building, it will be interesting to see how quickly a roof can be installed with steel beams and modern roofing materials. I can't help but think of the cost of the restoration and compare that total with the total sales on a few high end collector car auctions. Bob 

I keep reading bits about the cathedral's history, I don't know if the exterior looked as it did in 1330 when the construction was finished, or if that was upgraded over the years. The building was 162 years old when Columbus discovered America, wonder how many people gave that a thought. Bob 

17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I keep reading bits about the cathedral's history, I don't know if the exterior looked as it did in 1330 when the construction was finished, or if that was upgraded over the years. The building was 162 years old when Columbus discovered America, wonder how many people gave that a thought. Bob 

That did dawn on me.

Kinda  goes to support the Brit taxi guys statement about us Yanks not really having much history.

Wow ..

Notre Dame has no insurance policy.

The  project  will run about $8 billion to rebuild...

I think this picture is from the war..

Germany 075.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

Matt _ This was heartbreaking to me, as I love ancient buildings as much as old cars. However, I'm pretty sure the Catholic church has sufficient funds to pay for the restoration. They've already collected $1 billion from various donations and reports suggest that the church has as much as $34 billion in the bank. That's surely why insurance was not something they worried about. ...

They do not own it..

It is owned buy the government of France...  They just use it... 

18 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

...with this I'll take exception.

That means you object to it.

I think Peter is saying "in this case I am OK with it". I will make a somewhat automotive contribution :

I have only seen Notre Dame once. In December of 1968, I bought a little Citroën 2CV van in Copenhagen. I paid $100 for it. The "Gringo" who sold it to me could not solve a vexing problem which caused it to stop running frequently and regularly. Didn't take me, a licensed pilot, too terribly long to recognize carb icing, and cure it. Bouncing and slipstreaming (absolutely amazing how little throttle you need when you are 18" off the bumper of the"tow truck"!!!!), my way South on the "Europe on $5 a day" trail, I drove into Paris over snowy roads being fueled by the still falling snow. The sure-footed thing had plenty of traction, and had got me there through significant snow in Germany also. I had a wonderful time wandering around Paris, and even went to Napoleon's Tomb. All the cars on the road back then would be considered old now, and some of them actually were at the time. I recall being somewhat unimpressed with the Parisian drivers, but I found the Paris Metro to be a fantastic way to get from point A to point B.

Left Paris and Notre Dame, headed down to the French Riviera. 2CV running well. Now, temperatures not being so cold, occasionally the little van served as "home" for a night. 1968-'69 was about the very best time ever for someone to be in their 20s. Staying in Mougins above Antibes  and Monaco, exploring the area, watching the Monte Carlo Rallye cars come and go, the temporary Danish girlfriend, the big bowls of mussels, with 1/2 baguette and a glass of red wine for 1f25centime (about two bits at the then exchange rate), at Chez Jacquie in the back streets of Nice, pretty hard to beat for me and the faithful 2CV. Etc.

So long ago, now. Most of the little I can remember comes to me more as a dream than a memory. Did I REALLY see those 3 or 4 Bugattis in a garage while cruising the hills with Grethe at my side ? She was at my side when I understood over French radio that one of their great wartime heroes had just died. That does come in full memory context. Perhaps you too remember where you were when you heard. President, 5 Star General Dwight D. Eisenhower. Oh how I wish we had one of such wisdom. Memories or dreams, idyllic, innocent times. 

With such relatively pleasant, sunny weather, I sold the Citroën, and hitch hiked into Spain.

And that is my automotive contribution to my cloudy memories of Notre Dame.    -    Citroën Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Slight expansion (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 4/17/2019 at 7:47 PM, nick8086 said:

Wow ..

Notre Dame has no insurance policy.

The  project  will run about $8 billion to rebuild...

I think this picture is from the war..

Germany 075.jpg

Probably WWI as I believe Paris was declared an open city when the Germans got close in WWII.  Whether you are religious or not the damage to such an historic building is heart wrenching. 

Strangely, it was through the news of the fire, that I  learned that Notre Dame had a spire. Standing in front of it as an ignorant adolescent in the early 80s, I didn't notice one. 

Thanks for the great pictures, and not the depressing pictures of the beautiful building on fire. It's a great symbol of western civilization, and it will survive. The Turks blew up (by accident, I think) portions of the Parthenon during WW1, yet it also still stands. Notre Dame will have some additional battle scars, but even the scars will come to be embraced by future generations of French citizens, historians, Catholics and Christians. My heart is with the people of faith in France.