1931 Buick Rim/wheel bolts

cjmarzoli

I need to source a couple rim bolts for a 1931 Series 60 with 19" standard wood wheels. These are the bolts that attach the outer rim to the wheel itself.  I have the nuts and brackets.  Any suggestions? Is there anything unique about them or could i fashion them out of standard hardware store bolts?  thanks.

You need to look for old bolts.  They have a shoulder that supports the rim and it is very difficult to find fine thread carriage bolts as well.   If you used hardware store bolts, you would need to weld on the shoulder mid way.  You could possibly find longer 7/16" carriage bolts, cut off the thread and retap with a fine thread. Then weld on the tab and grind the tab to the correct length.  

You also do not want to mix fine and coarse threads on wheel bolts.  It is a recipe for disaster one day when the nuts get swapped.  The bolts for your car are style #4 and they are 3 1/6" long.  

They are out there.  I will PM a friend.  Maybe someone else may have some as well.     They are the 3 1/16"long used on the smaller series Buicks from 1926 to 1932.  Hugh

1401789937_wheelBolts1.thumb.JPG.a4768b2acfb271636d4ce8575ce035cf.JPG937124395_wheelBolts2andrimwedges.thumb.JPG.01774d2b1b90495a71e919f3dca8540c.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1