1941 Ford Woody

flatheadkid1

They make a great restoration project, but wth all that wood damage, your car would be a huge challenge and expense to restore. I'm guessing someone will want it as it is pretty rare and highly sought after. 10K would likely be fair. A friend of mine paid circa $13K USD a while back for a 1940 with nearly all good wood but a more rusty body. While your wood looks poor, some of it might be salvagable, certainly good for patterns.

• Like 2

There are several companies that specialize in Station Wagon, wood restoration and replacement. The biggest issue I see with your car is the floor pan, as it looks like the car has been stored outdoors. The floor pan is not reproduced by anyone and is basically the backbone of the car. It runs in one piece from front to back including the wheel wells and rocker boxes. A complete wood replacement will run between $20 to $30K. One plus is, that the car looks fairly complete, as Woodie parts are very rare. I don't think mercer is far off with the 10K estimate. If the floor is intact and can be repaired, I would think 20K is reasonable providing all the other sheetmetal is good.

I talked to a "Woodie" friend on the west coast this afternoon. A couple of years ago one of his friends purchased a "Woodie" in the shape the one you picture. Everyone advised him not to, but he let his heart over rule his mind. He took several pieces of the floor pan to a noted sheetmetal fab shop and was quoted  between $15,000 to $20,000 for a new floor pan and about 6 months lead time. He was able to recoup some of his money by parting out the car. You have to understand that the wheelhouse area is so critical to the build. All the rear components are aligned to it. It all adds up very quickly. Between a new floor pan, (if it is needed) and all new wood and  you're up to 50K and haven't scratched the surface yet. Get in the car and realistically evaluate the pan, wheel houses and rockers, if they are as good as you say ask $20 and see what response you get.

Dave, if you look closely at his pictures, you can see a rear seat. The car does look complete with all the rare Woodie parts. The passenger side rain gutter looks like it is roached and rain gutters are almost impossible to find. Might be profitable as a parts car. By the way, if you are looking for a third seat there is one for sale in the latest issue of the V-8 Times.

Thank you everyone for your replies.  The car does have a 3rd seat.  I will be removing the debris out of the car and evaluating the overall condition before posting it for sale.  I'm glad I am able to save this car before it turns back to soil and iron ore.  

• 2 weeks later...

As you probably know, the second and third seats just lift out, so you will be able to evaluate the floors fairly easy. Another point to look at are the rocker boxes. One thing you have going for you is that it looks like all the hard to find parts, unique to Station Wagons, are intact. The drivers side rain gutter looks fairly good but the passenger side needs some help. The roof tack strip over the windshield looks good also, if you need that piece it's almost impossible to find. The sheetmetal looks very nice and the stainless isn't dinged up. Keep us posted with more pictures! 

20 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

That '41 that sold for $25,000 or so yesterday at Tupelo, just need plates, guess it was a good deal. 

thought that car went for over 40k?????????

Stand corrected it went out the door with commissions at $41,440, guess I was thinking about it being stalled at $25,000 for a while. Bob 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the first nice day I didn't have to work so here is a woody update.  Overall the floor is all there but needs patch work. The rockers need attention as well.  I am told that this is a late production 41 due to the trim and 5 digit number on the firewall.  A few people who have looked at it have been amazed at how complete it is and showed me the many details that make this a 1 year only woody.  Now that I have a clear title in my name it is for sale.  I hope it makes someone a good project.  

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

floor3.jpg

• 11 months later...

Flatheadkid1 , Please call me if you still have have the '41, after almost a year. I sent you an email but may not be current.  I had a recent garage fire as pictured. Woody was badly singed on drivers side. I am looking for a donor 41 for glass, grill, lights, many items except the wood which can be saved on the drivers  side. I still have to work out a few logistics as I have no garage for the remainder of the year.

Thank you,

Doug

323 333-7060

dr.huse@att.net

'41 Best of Show, Glendale Cruise Night '19.jpg

IMG_20190730_144025053_HDR.jpg

• 1 year later...

Looks like this woody is now on CL for $12,500, unsure if it is still owned by Flatheadkid1 or Mercer or _______?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pts/d/mount-laurel-1941-ford-woody/7433954059.html