63 Riviera Whitewall Tires - width of whitewall

Riviera Tires

I own a 63 Riviera and am getting ready to replace the tires.  I have found 1.3" whitewall width with Coker Tires and Cooper Tires at around 3/4".  I have an old/original ad with a 63 Riviera pictured and the width of the whitewall appears closer to the 3/4" than 1.3"  

What is the correct width of the whitewall tire for a 63 Riviera?  Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I like and buy white walls for my 63 that are approximately 1” give or take a 1/16th. I buy my tires from the same company and same owner for a long time. The owner is “ Mr Tire “ in this area. I asked Frank what the standard width of a white wall tire. Frank said, “ The industry standard is 15/16” wide for white walls.” I bought the tires with white walls about an inch wide. Our brochures of the 63 show narrow white walls.

Hope this helps.

115A0564-F2D6-4896-A7C4-850BF3275695.jpeg

• Thanks 1

This is not very scientific but should get you close to original.

Picture of the Rivera wheel is from the showroom brochure.

In this case, the white strip is very close in width to the width of the tri-shield on the hubcap..........if you have that hubcap you can come up with an inch measurement.63Riviera.thumb.jpg.653a4c9fec1eab676a4686b066d7367a.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2019 at 6:24 PM, Riviera Tires said:

I own a 63 Riviera and am getting ready to replace the tires.  I have found 1.3" whitewall width with Coker Tires and Cooper Tires at around 3/4".  I have an old/original ad with a 63 Riviera pictured and the width of the whitewall appears closer to the 3/4" than 1.3"  

What is the correct width of the whitewall tire for a 63 Riviera?  Thanks!!!

I think that the original tires had about a 1-1/4" white side wall on the the tire.  They look a little wide for current standards, but Coker's 1.3" tire is pretty close.  Before you buy tires from Coker, make sure you know when they were built.  You don't want to be buying a tire that will be "old" (7 years is old in the world of tires no matter what the tread measures.) in a couple of years.

Before you buy from Coker, make sure you're going to drive the car enough to get your money's worth.  If you're only racking up a few hundred miles a year (if that), it might be more financially prudent to get some "close enough" whitewalls from Hankook or the like.

OK Riviera People: I run the kind Bob the Turbinator runs. Perfect!   Hey, I also noticed the valve stem on the 63 wire cap is at 6 'o clock on the factory picture. I've been putting all mine at 3 'o clock.  Will i get in trouble with the cops on that one?  Mitch

7 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People: I run the kind Bob the Turbinator runs. Perfect!   Hey, I also noticed the valve stem on the 63 wire cap is at 6 'o clock on the factory picture. I've been putting all mine at 3 'o clock.  Will i get in trouble with the cops on that one?  Mitch

Hefty fine plus time.  No bail.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

A somewhat serious question—did the folks who shot that brochure have that kind of attention to detail?

Gents, I’ve played a lot of football without a helmet. Sometimes my eyes get crossed. I noticed my triishield in my two bar spinner is wrong. I know this is an old picture. I apologize for confusion. Since the photo I’ve corrected the position of the trishield position on the two bar spinner. Can’t go around with a handle like “ Turbinator” and not know your stuff

45 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Detail, I would never walk away from a Phillips head screw that didn't have a correct X and Y axis.

Bernie aren’t the x and y axis 90degrees to on another? 

Turbinator

13 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

Mitch, thanks for the heads up. It’s hard for to believe I posted a pic with dirty tires much less my tri shield in wrong. I’ve been in the paint booth today without a mask this afternoon.

Turbinator

6 hours ago, j3studio said:

A somewhat serious question—did the folks who shot that brochure have that kind of attention to detail?

My guess is if the photographer was on the Buick staff he/she better have attention to detail. If, the photographer was from an agency how would they know about the subject? I knew a policeman that was the photographer for his police department and he said he was real sensitive to detail in his photography.

Turbinator

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Fines are being posted. Time to be served is being deliberated.  Bail is denied.  Good luck.  You're going to need it; the 'valve in the wrong place' violators is a tough group with which to be housed

Fortunately, I had a heads up about the random wheel cover orientation raids being conducted in my area. I was able to get them oriented correctly during my annual winter wheel cover cleaning, thus avoiding any fine and/or jail time. No way do I want to spend any time with the "valve in the wrong place" crowd.

Bill

IMG_5366.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Riviera63 said:

Fortunately, I had a heads up about the random wheel cover orientation raids being conducted in my area. I was able to get them oriented correctly during my annual winter wheel cover cleaning, thus avoiding any fine and/or jail time. No way do I want to spend any time with the "valve in the wrong place" crowd.

Bill

IMG_5366.JPG

I also have that Buick LP I can see in the background. 😎

22 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Bernie aren’t the x and y axis 90degrees to on another?

With the X parallel to the horizon. When I set the four radians of the screw slots in the correct position I call myself a radiator.

Well, not really, just trying to be an agitator.

Bernie

19 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I thought that was a very cool item when I first saw it and had to have it. I am of the age though, that all of those musicians/composers are all familiar to me which makes it a little more special besides the Riviera connection.  I have also hung around long enough to see vinyl make a comeback.

Bill

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

With the X parallel to the horizon. When I set the four radians of the screw slots in the correct position I call myself a radiator.

Well, not really, just trying to be an agitator.

Bernie

Bernie, if you want to run with the Turbinator you’ve got to raise your leg high.

48 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I've got a complete "component system" with a Pioneer turntable, and vintage Harmon Kardun tuner, cassette deck,  amp/equalizer, and a later model CD player.  No eight tracks though.  

RivNut, do you have your stylus gauge calibrated?

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

3 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Bill

IMG_5366.JPG

Bill, major league bling. At first I thought had to reach for my Foster Grants.

Turbinator

34 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

RivNut, do you have your stylus gauge calibrated?

Nope.  Dont even know what that means.  All I know is that theres a little lever that raises and lowers the stylus and a beam that starts the turntable.  I usually listen to CD's because they hold more tunes and I can load 5 at a time.  Makes life much more simple when I'm in the garage covered with grime and dont have to stop and wash up and cross the carpet every 20 - 25 minutes.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I've got a complete "component system" with a Pioneer turntable, and vintage Harmon Kardun tuner, cassette deck,  amp/equalizer, and a later model CD player.  No eight tracks though.  

What, no reel to reel...😊

Not mine, found this pic on the 'net, 

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

sound-riviera-reel-to-reel-tape-recorder-player-vintage.jpeg

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

Nope.  Dont even know what that means.  All I know is that theres a little lever that raises and lowers the stylus and a beam that starts the turntable.  I usually listen to CD's because they hold more tunes and I can load 5 at a time.  Makes life much more simple when I'm in the garage covered with grime and dont have to stop and wash up and cross the carpet every 20 - 25 minutes.

Smart man. Some with a critical ear for sound reproduction say the compac disc has and edge that reproduces a harsh sound. The LP record on a good turntable , etc. with a tube amplifier has a warm cozy sound. The sound reproduction is important only if you want it to be important. 

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Smart man. Some with a critical ear for sound reproduction say the compac disc has and edge that reproduces a harsh sound. The LP record on a good turntable , etc. with a tube amplifier has a warm cozy sound. The sound reproduction is important only if you want it to be important. 

If I want to work and listen, I will use CD's for the convenience.  If I want to relax and listen, I prefer a clean vinyl recording played on a Thorens turntable, powered by a McIntosh tube amp and listened through some Klipsch horn speakers.  It is Nirvana!

Edited by Pat Curran
update content (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

If I want to work and listen, I will use CD's for the convenience.  If I want to relax and listen, I prefer a clean vinyl recording played on a Thorens turntable, powered by a McIntosh tube amp and listened through some Klipsch horn speakers.  It is Nirvana!

Pat, you are referring to the Paul Klipsch (RIP) corner horns? I heard the corner horns in Nashville a long time ago. Have never forgotten the sound.

thank you for your comments.

Turbinator