1956 Buick Super Worth Asking Price?

Jamison39

I am looking at buying my grandpas 1956 Buick super.  It is the automatic and has the 322 nailhead.  The car has 30,000 original miles, and a newer interior.  There are no rust holes in the body, only small pitting and rust on the chrome.  It runs and drives without issue.  The paint is not in very good shape, and there's some scratches and dings here and there.  He is looking at selling it to me for $6000.  There's a lot of sentimental value for me, but I want to make sure that I'm not overpaying, and want to make sure he isn't selling it too cheap.  Please let me know your thoughts, and any questions you may have.  Thanks

20190406_113618.jpg

20190406_113627.jpg

20190406_115651.jpg

Edited by Jamison39 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

You stated the engine and trans are in good shape.  Looking at your pictures, the interior looks quite good.  Some cleaning will do wonders I bet.  The paint, rubbing compound and she probably shine up quite well.  I would say that $6000 is a good number.   And after she shines up, hub caps are on, white wall tires are looking good and you dump that cardboard stink tree from the rear view mirror it will $6000 well spent.  Plus, I bet once on the road grandpa will be glad to see her rolling again.           

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

As long as the paint isn't lifting or cracking,  you would be amazed at how nice you can make the worst paint look.  If it's original paint it would be a mistake to think about repainting unless it's got major issues.  

I agree 6G seems reasonable.  Based on that one photo of the interior it looks very nicely done. 

I would still work with what's there.  It doesn't look bad on the car with that interior combo.  Even if it has alot of orange peel and junk in the finish,  you can wet sand and buff.  I have done a bunch of cars and have made some of the worst orange peel just short of gravel floor looking finishes smooth as glass which really makes the car pop. 

Paint and interior are arguable the most expensive part of owning a car like this. The fact that the car is solid, rust free, complete and in good mechanical order would make this car worth it to me. The dents in the doors are a bit scary but shouldn't be too hard to get it from the inside of the door.

That's a nice car!  Since it was your grandfather's car I think I'd just pay what he asked if it was within my ability to do so.  Especially if the car has sentimental value to you.   And I believe if you look at the Haggerty Price guides on the internet you will find the value of that car roughly double the price you indicated.   That does not mean you can just automatically buy or sell another for that price.  But it does kinda set the bar for folks to work from for a particular car.  

In this case if you were to send it for new paint you'd be investing at least the purchase price, maybe more, and since this car has a lot of one year pieces you will find not much is cheap to repair.  However, you likely will also find that GREAT CAR to drive! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jamison39 said:

I am looking at buying my grandpas 1956 Buick super.  It is the automatic and has the 322 nailhead.  The car has 30,000 original miles, and a newer interior.  There are no rust holes in the body, only small pitting and rust on the chrome.  It runs and drives without issue.  The paint is not in very good shape, and there's some scratches and dings here and there.  He is looking at selling it to me for $6000.

Absolutely worth it!  The history and continuing guidance is priceless.  Any other car would be a crap shoot with undisclosed problems showing up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, Welcome, I have an expression, and most of the guys here can attest to this, "You do it for Love, not Money"! That said, you ask a fair question, is it worth it, and is your granddad getting a good deal. It can be very difficult to sell vintage cars, it can take months or years, to try to get the value a price guide says its' worth. You need to find the right person, as there are lovers of all of the 100 + years of all the makes, model, and endless variations in cars. In my, partly educated view, the $6,000 is a fair price.

That said, it sounds like you just might be that "right guy"! I'm partial to '56's, as I've had one for 40+ years, and I have personally driven the car in excess of 100,000 miles. They don't drive like modern cars, but these cars drive good, and are comfortable, as long as everything is up to scratch. The Dynaflow is slow off of the line compared to newer ones, but, will cruise at today's highway speeds.

Forgive me if you know this already.

It also helps to be mechanically inclined, as they need service from time to time, and depending in what kind of use its' had recently, you might need to do a bunch of maint related things, if you are going to drive it quite a bit. If you have issues to solve, there is considerable knowledge here that can help you out.

Lastly, nice to hear of your interest, and please keep us posted as to how it goes, plus we're all like kids too, as we like pictures to look at!

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I also agree with most of the above posts.  If it were mine, I would bring it home and do a super cleaning of everything, inside and out.  Change all of the fluids and filters, scrub & clean the interior carefully, and finally get a buffing wheel and wheel out with rubbing compound carefully and then wax the exterior.  I have seen paint like that clean up really well after being wheeled out.  If you are not skilled at using a polishing wheel, it might be better to pay someone that is skilled.

Don't change anything from original, and driving the car will toss you back in time to when the car was new.  It is a great experience from driving a modern car, and that driving can be very addictive.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I think the price in fair if he is selling it to someone untouched .

But being a Grandfather , I would think my grandson would be entitled

to a VERY LARGE " DISCOUNT" or " Clean it , get it running and its your " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my 2 cents

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for all of the replies.  I have decided to purchase the car and have started working on it already.  I appreciate all of the information you have given me, and all of the useful information on this site in general.  You will for sure see some threads started from me for some help along the way (after i use the search function of course)!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jamison39 said:

Thanks everyone for all of the replies.  I have decided to purchase the car and have started working on it already.  I appreciate all of the information you have given me, and all of the useful information on this site in general.  You will for sure see some threads started from me for some help along the way (after i use the search function of course)!

Welcome to the Buick family!  

8 hours ago, Thriller said:

Congratulations!

What part of the world are you located in?  We may be able to direct you to local resources or aficionados.

Enjoy.  It’s great that it could be kept in the family for the next steward.

Thanks!  I am located in Cincinnati Ohio.

• Like 2