50Traveler

From UK to IL to PA to NY??

I have been looking at a vintage British car that was imported about 15 years ago and has been through two owners since then. The current owner has not registered it and the only paperwork he is able to show me is two insurance cards (Yes, from Hagerty), from the previous owner in Illinois, membership documents for a British roadside assistance company, and a window sticker from the garage it had been sold from in the UK.

What should there be? Would Illinois have issued a title or a transferable registration on something this old? It’s a '63. What would the current seller in Pennsylvania have needed from him to register the car in his state?

Thanks for any information,
Justin

Good grief.  No wonder the current owner hasn't registered it.  Not even a bill of sale!   Unless it's some kind of extremely rare car, chances are for a 1963 there are plenty to choose from that are well documented and there is not doubt about their provenance.  Just out of curiosity, what kind of car is it?

Terry

On 4/15/2019 at 7:22 AM, 50Traveler said:

IWhat would the current seller in Pennsylvania have needed from him to register the car in his state?

Justin

How to Register your out of state vehicle in Pennsylvania

It appears that registering a vehicle without a Valid, Legal, chain of ownership (ie title document)  is at best a challenge in Pennsylvania and at worst might not be possible. This, no doubt, explains why the current owner hCs not titled it in Pennsylvania.

I agree with others that it would be smart to look elsewhere for a vehicle that can be titled in your state with less challenges and headaches.

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2019 at 4:22 AM, 50Traveler said:

I have been looking at a vintage British car that was imported about 15 years ago and has been through two owners since then. The current owner has not registered it and the only paperwork he is able to show me is two insurance cards (Yes, from Hagerty), from the previous owner in Illinois, membership documents for a British roadside assistance company, and a window sticker from the garage it had been sold from in the UK.

What should there be? Would Illinois have issued a title or a transferable registration on something this old? It’s a '63. What would the current seller in Pennsylvania have needed from him to register the car in his state?

Justin

I'd contact the PA DMV FIRST to verify this but here's what I believe needs to happen. 

It sounds like current owner needs to contact the Illinois owner and request he send the title to the PA DMV releasing the title to the current owner in PA. The current PA owner is then required to file a PA form MV-1 ALONG WITH the title release from prior owner. Once PA reviews this they will assign a contact who will then reach out to the current owner for this specific case. The state of PA will then (assuming all checks out) issues the current owner the title in the current PA owners name,  he can then sell it to you after he gets this mess cleaned up.

If THEY (the two prior owners) do not follow these steps you'll never be able to get it titled in your name.

Dealing with PA and NY are extremely difficult. It's not impossible but you have to be very precise or it will go wrong. 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

This issue resolved itself.  After many conversations with the seller the car disappeared from Craigslist.  That's OK, there are others.  In fact, today I venture into Canada to collect a similar car that I had shipped over from British Columbia.  That presents a whole different set of issues but I am prepared and the paperwork is complete.

• Like 1