Sign in to follow this  
Mark Gregory

1929 National Service Manual

Not Mine  

1929 National Service Manual was my grandfather’s; used in his shop.

These are very hard to find. One sold recently on eBay for $325

Here is this 6 inch THICK National Automotive Service’ “National Service Manual” (copyright 1929). This colossal book is America’s standard of excellence in Automotive Manuals, covering automobile repair from 1916 to 1929, with yearly additions to 1933 and is in Excellent Condition.

From the 1930’s to the 1960’s, the National Automotive Service Company manufactured The PROFESSIONAL REPAIR Manual…the N.S.D. Master Manual! But before 1930, the N.S.D. was known as the National Service Manual. This rare manual, covering over 1500 pages, is combined with the very rare REED'S Ignition/Lighting/Starting manual, to make one of the most sought after auto manuals for the early cars.

The domestic car makes covered are: Ajax, Allen, Ambassador, American, Anderson, Apperson, Auburn, Barley, Bay State, Beggs, Biddle, Blackhawk, Bour-Davis, Brewster, Briggs Detroiter, Briscoe, Buick, Cadillac, Case, Chalmers, Chandler, Chevy, Chrysler, Climber, Cole, Columbia, Comet, Commonwealth, Crow Elkhart, Cunningham, Dagmar, Daniels, Davis, Diana, De Soto, Dixie Flyer, Dodge, Dorris, Dort, Douglas, Duesenburg, Dupont, Durant, Earl, Elcar, Empire, Elkhart, Enger, Erskine, Essex, Falcon Knight, Fiat (American), Flint, Ford, Fox, Franklin, Gardner, Geronimo, Graham-Paige, Grant, Gray, Halladay, Handley Knight, Hanson, Harroun, Harvard, Hatfield, Haynes, H.C.S., Hertz, Hollier, Holmes, Hudson, Hufman, Hupmobile, Interstate, Jackson, Jeffery, Jewitt, Jones, Jordan, Kankakee, King, Kissel, Kleiber, Kline Kar, Kurtz, R & V Knight, Regal, REO, Revere, Rickenbacker, Roamer, Rollin, Rolls Royce, Roosevelt, Ross, Saxon, Sayers, Sayers Scoville, S and S, Scripps Booth, Seneca, Severin, Sheridan, Simplex, Singer, Skelton, Standard, Stanley, Star, Stearns Knight, Stephens, Sterling Knight, Stevens Duryea, Studebaker, Stutz, Sun, Templar, Texan, Tulsa, Velie, Viking, Westcott, Whippet, White, Wills-St. Claire, Willys-Knight, Windsor, Winther, and Winton. 

It has all the chapters that make a complete Auto Repair Manual for your Vintage Auto. Each section covers all the makes listed above. That portion gives all the Various equipment each company uses, like: Autolite Gen and Dist's, Delco Remy products, Bosch Magnetos, Eisemann Mags, Gray and Davis Products, Westinghouse Products, Splitdorf Mags, Northeast Products, etc.

a Troubleshooting section by Reed's for: Starting / Lighting / Ignition
and finally....the heart of the book.... the Car Model section, (specific to each make and model). For instance, in the 1928 Auburn chapter, it gives: Specs and Tune Up data, Wiring Diagrams, Generator Rebuild Instructions, etc. 

Again, The 6 inch thick manual has rare info for the 1918 to 1933 car model years.

This HUGE 15 lb manual is a must have for the classic car collector and auto literature aficionado! This rare manual is in good shape for its age, and is bound in thick leatherette covered boards, and assembled with metal brackets and bolts. Overall, the tome is holding up very nicely.

Yes. I agree its a rare book........a term used to often today. That is one of the "two" books to have when working on the 20's and 30's era cars............and the most difficult to find. Overall its in very nice condition. The other one to have is the 1937 issue with the updates to 1942........then you're covered for all the common and popular cars people are still driving today. There are a few other obscure books that took me twenty years to find, so I am covered from 1908 to 1950. Since it was your grandfathers and your a car guy........does it have any sentemental reason to keep it? It would still be an interesting object in any man cave or garage shelf. I used my books every week looking up tune up specifications and wiring diagrams. A must have if you work on cars often. 

There were two different forms of NSD available (not sure about 1929, but certainly beginning about 1933):  First, the one here which covers ONLY ignition and electrical, and second, one ALSO covering other major systems such as steering boxes, transmissions, and differentials.  Clearly the latter is preferable, IF you can find one.  This was a subscription service to repair shops in which the shop received the binder and the current year and a few previous, then each successive year as the subscription continued.

Indices and pagination are problematic.  Don't count on what you find as being well organized, even alphabetically.  When you get an NSD, spend an our or so reviewing it with a pad of post-it notes to annotate and leave hanging out in the margins.

I have some surplus later (late 1950s and 1960s) annual editions still in the mailing boxes for all American makes.  No surplus pre-war!