GJP

1921-1923 EJ Roadster Owner needing assistance

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your post and information. While the car currently runs with the Remy 626K, I do have a passing interest in ultimately returning the car to its more original setup. If you have a 626A or K97 I would be interested in obtaining some pictures from you and also knowing what your asking price would be. My Email address is gpruden@telus.net

Regards

Glen

Glen

I found a cam sprocket marked 120006 but I can not find a "45" mark on it.

I also found a N.O.S. whitney chain.

I have not found the accessory sprocket yet and I am still going through the totes to find these.

2 hours ago, rbk said:

Glen

I found a cam sprocket marked 120006 but I can not find a "45" mark on it.

I also found a N.O.S. whitney chain.

I have not found the accessory sprocket yet and I am still going through the totes to find these.

Bob,

That sprocket must have "Type 45" stamped on it to be correct.  Look at the location of the arrow in the photo I posted earlier in this thread.....basically on the machined center portion between the bolt holes.

Scott

1 hour ago, Stude Light said:

Bob,

That sprocket must have "Type 45" stamped on it to be correct.  Look at the location of the arrow in the photo I posted earlier in this thread.....basically on the machined center portion between the bolt holes.

Scott

Bob/Scott,

Thanks for keeping up the search for the Type 45's. Much appreciated. Glen

Posted (edited)

chain.thumb.jpeg.8780efa7d7ae4612f77667a7c9d7bd63.jpegIf you look in the Studebaker Parts book B for the Standard six on page 202-c there is a note that chains 120007 (Morse), 122205 (link belt) and chain 122050 (Duckworth) are replaced by chain 125718 (Whitney).

All these chains run on the same sprockets. The last chain part number 125718 was used on late standard sixes and continued through GE, GJ, GL, S1, 53. This would indicate that these chains are interchangeable. The parts book does not mention type 45 being stamped on the sprocket only on the front of the outside link of the morse chain.

If Robert has a new chain of any of these types it should work on the later EM sprockets.

Edited by studeboy
added image (see edit history)

1 hour ago, studeboy said:

If you look in the Studebaker Parts book B for the Standard six on page 202-c there is a note that chains 120007 (Morse), 122205 (link belt) and chain 122050 (Duckworth) are replaced by chain 125718 (Whitney).

All these chains run on the same sprockets. The last chain part number 125718 was used on late standard sixes and continued through GE, GJ, GL, S1, 53. This would indicate that these chains are interchangeable. The parts book does not mention type 45 being stamped on the sprocket only on the front of the outside link of the morse chain.

If Robert has a new chain of any of these types it should work on the later EM sprockets.

Thank you Bryan for the information provided about the different chains that can be used (I don't have the standard Six manual so didn't know that). Interestingly, it seems that Studebaker must have changed the requirement to have the sprockets stamped with Type 45 in the later years as  the Light Six Service Manual write-up  indicates they would be stamped (have attached a pic from the manual)?

Hopefully Robert can find some, especially the 15 tooth accessory sprocket as this is the one that is chewed up on my car.

IMG_0146.JPG

On 4/15/2019 at 8:16 AM, rbk said:

Glen

Do you have a parts book so you can give me part numbers?

a lot of parts in these 20 some totes have part numbers.

I may have some extra parts books if you do not have these.

These cars really fascinate me and I wish to be able to get these parts

to the right people but I need help with this.

I am in a wheelchair most of the time and only can walk a short distance.

I am 82 years old and have this huge warehouse full of parts from 29 Studebaker

dealers that closed their shops in the late 60's

Any volunteers in Northern Illinois? 

rbk I am looking for several parts for a 1925 Standard Six.

Here are the part numbers according to the manuals I have:

124284 - Lighting Switch

110605 - Lighting Switch Gear

124220 - Carb Air Cleaner Complete

122436 - Gas Tank

124188 - Gasoline tank outlet pipe assembly

109356 - Lighting switch lever tube gear

122106 - Radiator filler cap (used with motometer)

123963 - Radiator filler cap and disc

Please let me know if you have any of these or any other parts that maybe for a 1925. I would like to keep it as close to original as possible. 

Thank You

Brad

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2019 at 9:28 PM, studeboy said:

If you look in the Studebaker Parts book B for the Standard six on page 202-c there is a note that chains 120007 (Morse), 122205 (link belt) and chain 122050 (Duckworth) are replaced by chain 125718 (Whitney).

My guess is the Type 45 was a new profile that came out in 1923 and runs quieter. This probably became the standard profile and there was no need to further mark the later parts.

Now the hard part...can you buy both the new profile and old profile chains based on the sprockets you are running? I've looked in the past - matching up the different parts and didn't really see a difference.

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

Robert has a nos whitney chain (125718). If Glen can get the accessory shaft sprocket to match the chain and the other two sprockets are the later type he should be good to go.

On 4/30/2019 at 7:04 PM, bcw said:

rbk I am looking for several parts for a 1925 Standard Six.

Here are the part numbers according to the manuals I have:

124284 - Lighting Switch

110605 - Lighting Switch Gear

124220 - Carb Air Cleaner Complete

122436 - Gas Tank

124188 - Gasoline tank outlet pipe assembly

109356 - Lighting switch lever tube gear

122106 - Radiator filler cap (used with motometer)

123963 - Radiator filler cap and disc

Please let me know if you have any of these or any other parts that maybe for a 1925. I would like to keep it as close to original as possible. 

Thank You

Brad

Brad

I hope that you will have patience.

I am rather preoccupied with my wife's cancer treatment and possibly surgery.

I have been slowly inventorying the 20 bin that Scott gave me.

I had a car accident last october that messed up my right leg and I can not walk very well.

I even have to miss the South Bend meet this weekend.

Bob

chain2.thumb.jpeg.aac1ae5e1bdf142f3cc825b311f3bd0d.jpeg

This page should help Bob identify the different chains he has. See note by timing chains.

• Like 1

I will try next week to find the accessory sprocket and pull the crank sprocket.

The N.O.S chain I have is 120007 and has Whitney stamped on it,

Bob

Thanks Bob,

The sprocket that I need the most is the 15 tooth "Type 45" accessory shaft sprocket (hopefully you can find one in the totes from Scott). If you find the Type 45 cam and crank sprockets even better. The NOS Whitney chain is also of interest to me although from Studeboys post, (scan of his parts manual) it should be 125718?  With Whitney stamped on the chain though the tag must be wrong.

Will look forward to hearing from you next week on the results of your search for the sprockets.

PS: on a side note during your search I am also looking for the fuse box cover (P/N 43956) should you come across one.

Glen

Part 12007 was the part number for the morse chain. They are interchangeable.