Help!! NOS Parts What Do They Go To ???

jean12

Hello All,

Just joined the site. Let me start by saying I know Nothing about old cars. These parts are older than I am. I have been given access to a warehouse with a lot of NOS and used antique car parts.  I'm talking cases of stuff. Is there a website where I can list the model/ part number and find out what car it went to?  I just pull out a case of new door latch springs but I don't know what cars they go to. Help

Thanks

Jean

You can post them here in the "What Is It" section of the forum and once you find out what you have, post them in the "Parts For Sale" section. Photos, photos, photos....

• Like 2

In the case of door latch springs, are these in a vehicle manufacturer's box ( i.e. Ford, General Motors, etc) or the supplier's box, (i.e. Curtis, AuVeco, etc).  Are there part numbers?

Thank you,

the door latches are all Dorman Products. I will definitely check out "What is it". I'm probably gonna drive ya'll nuts. Sorry

I also snapped some pics of gages, there pretty rough. Is it worth it to sell them.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 1

If you are going to post photos of things that need to be identified, please put up one item at a time to post here and supply any part numbers on those pieces. If you put up more than one item this will get VERY confusing and hard to track.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your Dorman springs where I can see the DL number:

DL24 - Lt gray, door latch spring for Buick, Caddy, Chev, LaSalle, Olds, Pont.  1934 - 1946

DL31 - Copper, door latch spring for Ford Mercury  1941 - 1952.

Whenever you see a door handle sagging & limp instead of proper horozontal, it needs one of these replacement springs.

3 hours ago, jean12 said:

Thank you,

the door latches are all Dorman Products. I will definitely check out "What is it". I'm probably gonna drive ya'll nuts. Sorry

I also snapped some pics of gages, there pretty rough. Is it worth it to sell them.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

This box should have a divider to segregate the springs by application.  Now they are a mix but the colors should help id them.  Boy does this bring back memories of me sitting in my garage trying to figure out what goes together and what something goes to.  This was long before the internet so finding parts catalogs was very important back then.

One way to save time taking individual pictures is :

Get a 2 foot by 3 foot white board,   divide it into 9 squares like a tic tack toe board,

Number the boxes 1 to 9.

in top left box put a piece of paper and label it A.  
After each photo of the parts change the letter, later  add numbers after the letter for more pictures.

put `one part in each box and photo the entire board.

then post pictures,  we can help you identify 

If we have need of more individual pictures we can ID it by the code.

Or make an offer if appropriate.

If you have GM parts you can try the GM parts WIKI. you will need part numbers though.  Also search the part number on ebay and finally google images if no luck.   It can be very rewarding,  it will most certainly drive you nuts and when you are done you will have a big pile of stuff you can't figure out what it fits and are pretty sure it's not worth the time to figure them out.  This is where you start wholesaling.  

I got out of parts and was happy when I did,  though I still once in a while buy a nice NOS piece or two,  I try not to. Several storage units and a shop full of stuff was enough for me.  

I also have a parts book collection that most would about kill for I amassed over 10 years buying books printed every few years apart,  price books to get access to old numbers that were revised and of course parts history books.  That was for pretty much all manufactures from the 20's to 80's.  Literally probably atleast 10,000  dollars worth of books and that would be a conservative number.  

Good luck.  It's fun in the beginning.