1953 Pontiac Chieftain 2 door $3500

39 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/cto/d/reduced-1953-pontiac-chieftain-2-door/6862830029.html

Here is another worthy candidate for restoration "on the cheap".  

"on the cheap" ?, anyone who has restored a 53-54 Pontiac knows how harder more than ever parts are getting hard to find, i couldn't begin to tell you how much money has gone into making restoration progress on my 1953 Pontiac Chieftain Custom Catalina over the last 40+ years. it is so sad to see so many Pontiacs like these end up being done on the cheap, take out the straight eight and trans, put in a LS chevy V8 and 4L60 trans, change the brakes to front disc brakes, take out the defroster box on the firewal and install a late model power brake booster & master cylinder. i hear you B Jake, and i know what you mean, a better word is for restomods on the cheap.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pontiac1953 said:

"on the cheap" ?, anyone who has restored a 53-54 Pontiac knows how harder more than ever parts are getting hard to find, i couldn't begin to tell you how much money has gone into making restoration progress on my 1953 Pontiac Chieftain Custom Catalina over the last 40+ years. it is so sad to see so many Pontiacs like these end up being done on the cheap, take out the straight eight and trans, put in a LS chevy V8 and 4L60 trans, change the brakes to front disc brakes, take out the defroster box on the firewal and install a late model power brake booster & master cylinder. i hear you B Jake, and i know what you mean, a better word is for restomods on the cheap.

I think we have a misunderstanding.  I do not mean put a SBC in it.   This is a car that a person can restore over 5-6 years for $15,000 to $20,000.  It is not going to win a top award at a POCI or AACA  meet but who cares?  The over-restoration culture has ruined the hobby.   Seat material is available from SMS, door panels can be cleaned up, the car has no rust per the seller. It's straight. Send the bumpers out for non show chrome over a winter, it would still be nicer than 1953 chrome.  Sand down and use that original paint as primer.  Car runs and drivers per the ad.  Seller can't take it with him, so is motivated.  Give him $2,000 for it. 

Heck, you can probably drive it around and enjoy it while you chip away at it.  I agree your 2 door hardtop is a better body style than this one, but I was trying to say with this car and the Oldsmobile is that there are fun bargains out there that can be restored and the hobby can be fun again.  I like the late fifties as much as the next guy but chrome bills run around $15,000 to $20,000 alone.  A lot of us only look for certain cars, convertibles, muscle cars, expensive cars.  But I'll bet this Pontiac and that Oldsmobile, restored (normal restoration) would deliver a whole lot of old car hobby just as well. 

• Like 4