Three cars in one photo - One could be a Hudson

Steve Hagy

Hi,  Just for fun I thought I would post one of my gas station photos instead of my usual fire engine pictures.  This is the Hazel filling station in West Virginia.  I believe that the car with the rectangular enameled emblem is a Hudson.  At least that's what the emblem looks like to me!  So folks, can anyone identify the make, model and year of these gas guzzlers?

Steve

Hazel.jpg

I'm guessing car on left is 1928 Chevrolet Landau Phaeton, and the Hudson (with Triangular badge) is about 1925. Some may know that although the 1928 Chevrolet was only a 4 cylinder car, it had a longer hood to take a 6 cylinder engine. The '28's were initially planned for a 6, but engine design/production delays resulted in the use of 4's and a shroud at rad for improved cooling. The Stovebolt 6 started in 1929. TMI? 

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

I'm guessing car on left is 1928 Chevrolet Landau Phaeton, and the Hudson (with Triangular badge) is about 1925. Some may know that although the 1928 Chevrolet was only a 4 cylinder car, it had a longer hood to take a 6 cylinder engine. The '28's were initially planned for a 6, but engine design/production delays resulted in the use of 4's and a shroud at rad for improved cooling. The Stovebolt 6 started in 1929. TMI? 

I did have my doubts about it being a Chrysler - the radiator top didn't look rounded enough.

I think it is actually a 1927 Pontiac. Note no front brakes.

Agree '27 Pontiac, also note RB side apron has decorative beading, Chev's were plain. As for the 3rd car, the Roadster, hmm...... I helped a friend restore a '27 Pontiac Sport Coupe (or Landau Coupe?) 4 years ago, we had to make virtually all the wooden carcass, quite a job, had about 1/2 the required patterns. Car is now finished dark green/black, except for 6 cyl engine being rebuilt (that's another story), looks great, must try to get a good photo. 

IMG_2667.JPG

4 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Agree '27 Pontiac, also note RB side apron has decorative beading, Chev's were plain. As for the 3rd car, the Roadster, hmm...... I helped a friend restore a '27 Pontiac Sport Coupe (or Landau Coupe?) 4 years ago, we had to make virtually all the wooden carcass, quite a job, had about 1/2 the required patterns. Car is now finished dark green/black, except for 6 cyl engine being rebuilt (that's another story), looks great, must try to get a good photo. 

IMG_2667.JPG

Our Pontiac is a '26 - at least the block casting is dated 1926, as is the radiator shell. There was no body when we got it so it is just a fun car. Being on disc wheels it was probably originally a sedan. Only about 200 of the two wheel brake Pontiacs were sold in NZ.

IMG_0947 (1024x768) (2).jpg

Hadstock 18 J McD photo.jpg

WOW NZ, that is too cool. Every old car guy's early thoughts, having a running chassis and a big field. You were fortunate to find a running engine. My friend's car is a project his Dad started 40-50 years ago and then shelved as he could not figure out how to assemble the body, and had several other projects. His Dad did have someone refit a replacement engine but he had never started the engine. Rolling chassis with engine in it sat for 40 years. When car was restored 3 years ago my friend started engine for 1st time in 40 years and there were serious issues with block, so he had to take the car's original block (which his Dad had saved) for rebuilding. Hopes to have it back in car this spring. Did your's come with cup holders? LOL 

14 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I did have my doubts about it being a Chrysler - the radiator top didn't look rounded enough.

I think it is actually a 1927 Pontiac. Note no front brakes.

I was going by this car, but you could be correct.

Picture 28961.jpg

7 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

WOW NZ, that is too cool. Every old car guy's early thoughts, having a running chassis and a big field. You were fortunate to find a running engine. My friend's car is a project his Dad started 40-50 years ago and then shelved as he could not figure out how to assemble the body, and had several other projects. His Dad did have someone refit a replacement engine but he had never started the engine. Rolling chassis with engine in it sat for 40 years. When car was restored 3 years ago my friend started engine for 1st time in 40 years and there were serious issues with block, so he had to take the car's original block (which his Dad had saved) for rebuilding. Hopes to have it back in car this spring. Did your's come with cup holders? LOL 

The two photos were taken at 'competitive' events. The muddy one is an English style trial where you try to get as far through a section as possible and score points.  The other is a grass gymkhana.

The car is not roadworthy, although one day when the boys have got further through their projects there is the intention to make it so.

Btw the gas tank is a genuine old world tank I found at the local vintage car club parts shed. It had the remains of a gas gauge from Detroit. I have no idea what it was from. It is only 8 gallons. I wondered if it was from a small truck. The type that mounted on the cowl.