Hello again, I have another question. My scout has some issues in the fuel department. I believe it should have two tanks, but it only had one when I bought it. The remaining one (left side) seems to hold gas fine and I filled it up, but a few days later I began to tap the tank and it sounds very empty, and 6 gallons seemed to have disappeared. (PS fuel gauge broken) If it leaked out i should be able to see it puddling right? or would it evaporate? Thoughts? Ive been debating buying larger tank and just keeping it under the bed area too if that sounds like a decent idea. Thanks! for any input as I'm just starting to work on scouts and have very limited knowledge. 

First, in your earlier post you said it would not start. Did you get it running?  If so how well does it run? I never saw an answer as to what happened.

Next, six gallons of leakage would leave a very large mess. A few drops might evaporate.   Are you getting any gas mixed with your oil or radiator? It would only take a quart or so mixed in the oil to cause damage to the engine if not fixed. If it is not on the ground it has to be somewhere, but there is nowhere I can think of that that amount could go without being seen. 

Your scout is no different than any other vehicle as to what makes it run. Spark, fuel,and timing 

On 4/13/2019 at 1:39 PM, Fleek said:

First, in your earlier post you said it would not start. Did you get it running?  If so how well does it run? I never saw an answer as to what happened.

Next, six gallons of leakage would leave a very large mess. A few drops might evaporate.   Are you getting any gas mixed with your oil or radiator? It would only take a quart or so mixed in the oil to cause damage to the engine if not fixed. If it is not on the ground it has to be somewhere, but there is nowhere I can think of that that amount could go without being seen. 

Your scout is no different than any other vehicle as to what makes it run. Spark, fuel,and timing 

Hi Fleek, sorry for the late answer yes I got I running after filling the bowl with gas. Thanks so much for the advise! I did find a leak so that’s where the gas most likely went but there was about 3 gallons left inside if I had to guess. It tank isn’t really rough so I’d rather get another. Would you suggest a larger tank out of another vehicle or another scout tank?

thanks for the update. Glad it running,  

As far as the gas tank, it depends on how you plan to use it. I usually try to stay original when it is feasible. But if your plans call for using it where you need a large fuel capacity I would look for a larger tank that can be installed where not much modification is required. 

Keep up the good work and stay in touch.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Fleek said:

thanks for the update. Glad it running,  

As far as the gas tank, it depends on how you plan to use it. I usually try to stay original when it is feasible. But if your plans call for using it where you need a large fuel capacity I would look for a larger tank that can be installed where not much modification is required. 

Keep up the good work and stay in touch.

With the little six gallon tank it has now it probably has a range of 70-80 miles ish which isn’t bad. So if I get another scout tank I’d know it fits but probably need a new sending unit as the gauge doesn’t work and I bet it’s the float that sunk in the tank because it always reads empty. 

Which series Scout do you have? Whichever it is, as far as I know the smallest tank was a 12 gallon. Cant imagine anything smaller. Be sure and use the serial number when looking for parts.International  made changes ad various times and not always by year         .http://www.gastanksusa.com/inscnewplgat.html

Edited by Fleek (see edit history)
Just now, Fleek said:

Which series Scout do you have? Whichever it is, as far as I know the smallest tank was a 12 gallon. Cant imagine anything smaller. Be sure and use the serial number when looking for parts.International  made changes ad various times and not always by year.

I was told they had two six gallon tanks, one in front of each rear wheel by the previous owner. He also told me he removed the passenger side so only the drivers side tank is left. This is just what he told me, so it could be a larger tank but am not sure

1 minute ago, Fleek said:

Look at the link I sent and see if it looks right.

That tank looks just like mine from the parts I can see. Maybe the owner was mistaken. Thanks so much for the help! My family is not into old cars, just me so they can’t offer much advise