Late 1920's or Early 1930's Truck - Studebaker?

Steve Hagy

Hi,

I'm trying to find out the year, make and model of this sharp looking truck.  The chassis was used by the Capitol Heighys, Maryland F.D.  They had U.S. Fire Apparatus of Wilmington, Delaware build this classic fire engine.  I believe this might be a Studebaker, but boy have I been wrong before!  So, please let me know what you think.  As always, I appreciate your input.

Steve

Capitol Heights.jpg

Yes, Studebaker commercial chassis. Quite a lot were used as buses. I think that radiator style lasted a little longer on the trucks than the cars.

I think the bullet head lamps make it 1927 or 1928.

There was a similar looking one on you tube not too long ago that was a camper truck. That one was 1929 and had a straight eight in it. Just when they changed over from using the old Big Six engine I don't know.

• Like 1

It certainly looks like a '27 or '28 Studebaker. On further looking.  There is a picture in my "STUDEBAKER TRUCKS 1927-1940 PHOTO ARCHIVE" By Howard Applegate, page 21 that looks exactly the same.  It is listed as "1928 Takoma Park, Maryland fire apparatus.  The Studebaker is posed in front of the fire hall, no people in the picture.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)