38rcdodge

Rudge Whitworth 100 wrench, whats it for?

I see in the photo above David posted how the ring is separate from the wheel nut. 

Just to be clear, that ring holds the wheel to the hub, that large hex headed piece with the logo is screwed into the hub center internal thread and is decorative only.

The rings are left hand thread on one side and RH on the other.  

• Thanks 1

I have a 1918-19 Cadillac Type 57 parts car that had 25" Rudge wheels with 120mm centers when I got it. Took them off and sold them to someone with a Simplex-Crane. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavidMc said:

I see in the photo above David posted how the ring is separate from the wheel nut. 

Just to be clear, that ring holds the wheel to the hub, that large hex headed piece with the logo is screwed into the hub center internal thread and is decorative only.

Thanks for making that clear. it makes sense looking at it. what I assumed is it was some sort of thing where the two are tightened against each other in some way . the only thing similar I have experience with Was an MG that was in the family as a kid. it had spoke wheels held on with a large nut. I remember it quite well because one came off on the freeway once. not something one forgets.😁 

10 hours ago, DavidMc said:

Yes David you are absolutely correct . Only the ring needs to be removed to remove a wheel, I don't know what I was thinking when I said the center needs to be removed as well. 

Post amended .

Greg