Speedometer rebuilding

gdmn852

John Wolf does all my gauge work. Excellent workmanship and reasonably priced. You'll see his work on cars at the highest levels.

John Wolf & Co. Inc
36420 Biltmore, PL, ste 1 Willoughby 
OH – 44094

Opening hours : 
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM ( mon - fri )

Tell : ( 440 ) 942 - 0083
Email : jwolfco@gmail.com

http://antiqueinstrument.com/

• Thanks 1

Gary,

I pulled my speedo out of my '40 LTD and found a lot of old grease on the drum where the flyweigts create the resistance.

Looked like the cable was pumping grease up into the speedo.

Cleaned it off with brake cleaner and a Q tip, and now she runs fine.

Just don't get any on the numbers of the odometer, as it will erase them in a flash.

No more needle bounce, and she goes back to zero.

Mike in Colorado

Agree, start with cable.  Found out mine didn't work due to the internal cable that's inside the outer jacket snapped at some point and had turned itself into an octopus...It was pretty jammed inside the housing.  Replaced internal cable and sent out head for servicing.  Biggest thing to remember is to cut the new cable to exactly as close as possible to what the shop manual calls for, otherwise new cable will tend to "whip" inside the housing causing a ticking sound, or worse, binding.  Lubricate cable as recommended, which is coating only the lower end of the cable; lubing all the way to the top will cause the grease to work itself back up inside the head of the speedometer.  I'd see if you can get by with a new cable first as the speedo servicing is not exactly cheap.  I sent my out to a shop in Michigan, Bob's Speedometer Service, if I recall. 

If it's parking at 30 MPH, it's probably not the cable. Chattering and bouncing maybe, but that one detail suggests something in the speedometer head is amiss. My Lincoln's speedometer is at John's place now and while I originally thought it was the cable (which had obviously failed and broken the drive fitting), several members here pointed out that the cable being broken was a sign of the speedometer seizing rather than vice-versa. Turns out they were right!

I fixed my broken cable, about 3" from the speedo by brazing a half inch long roll pin the same diameter as the inner cable to make a splice.

Put it on the grinder and smoothed it out, and then polished it with 80 grit emory.

That was 5 years ago in the '40 LTD Buick, and she's been running fine ever since.

Mike in Colorado