Valve adjustment for hydraulic lifters

Stan W.

Some of the rockers on my '52 Special are making a pretty good clacking noise. I can only find an adjustment procedure for the solid lifter engines. Mine has the hydraulics. Can I adjust them down with the engine running until they stop clacking, or is there another procedure?

Thanks

According to the '52 shop manual: place the lifer to be adjusted on the base circle of the camshaft. Then, "Starting with some lash clearance in the valve linkatge, turn the adjusting ball stud down until all play of push rod between lifter and ball stud is just removed and no lash clearance exits in the linkage." Then "Turn ball stud down two complete turns to move the lifter plunger down and clear of its retainer." They don't specify whether the engine should be hot or cold, but the context suggests cold. I adjust mine with the engine running at operating temperature. I find the point at which the clicking just disappears and then turn the ball stud two more turns. The idle should be set as slow as possible, or adjusting the bouncing rockers is difficult. Hold a box wrench on the lock nut with one hand and turn the ball stud with a big screwdriver in the other hand. Sounds awkward but it works fine.

I'm no Buick expert, but Hyd lifters are adjusted pretty much the same procedure among most engines. Do it cold, engine not running. U will have to figure out BASED ON THE FIRING ORDER which 8 to adjust on #1 TDC and which 8 to adjust 360 degrees from #1 TDC. Consult a MOTORS manual for T for the chevy V8 procedure and adapt it to your firing order. I see no reason why it would not work. I did this same thing on my Packard V8 and it runs fine. Packard v8's are known for their temperamental hyd lifters.

I used to adjust them on new cars before they were sold by sitting on the fender with the engine hot and running, these were 1953 stick shift engines.At that time we did not adjust the ones with auto trans. Norb