Replaced icm and coil pack. Now the car dies when it idles

Spazzaroth

So I replaced the ICM and the coil pack in my 89 Reatta.  now the car starts up fine and it runs but as soon as I let off the gas it dies.  Any suggestions as to what to check?  I hooked up the new coil pack exactly like the old one to the ICM and I've double-checked to make sure all the cables are running to the correct spark plugs... Not really sure what else it could be.

Have you cleaned the Idle Air Controller (IAC)? If your old ICM & coils you have on now are misfiring I would put the other one back on.  I don't think the ICM would prevent the engine from idling correctly if it is otherwise running good.  Is the MAF brand new or just another used one?  If it is used you might want to try another one.

• Like 1

It's a brand new maf.  I just took apart the throttle body and cleaned it very thoroughly including the IAC. I figured out why it was misfiring it was because I hadn't a fix the old IAC down and it was shorting out.  Here is a short video of me starting the car and what happens.  This is with me not doing anything but cranking the car.  No throttle or anything.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/1FaNsMPyhphP9eqc8. This is exactly what it was doing with the new IAC and coil pack on.

I agree with Ronnie that the engine is pretty noisy which of course is a little difficult to narrow down without being able to probe. They can rattle as rpms drop while in the act of quitting but it almost sounds like it is from the valve cover area, like a loose rocker(s),  collapsed lifter or something like that, but that shouldn't prevent idling . The rolling idle sounds like IAC, vacuum leak or maybe EGR leakage. If it has a new cam sensor magnet, was that done using the external method or did it get a timing chain set as well? It wasn't mentioned, so guessing it was an external repair. Did this ever run well or has this always been an ongoing problem? Would like to see what the warm idle timing is, what the MAF is reading, and maybe IAC steps reading. Interesting that it apparently changed how it runs when the ICM/coil pack was changed.

• Like 1

The cam magnet included a new timing chain etc with the water pump.  It's the only work I didn't do to the car myself.   Should I try and replace the iac?  I have cleaned it pretty thoroughly.  Could be a vacuum leak.  The odd thing is that most of these problems all really started when I replaced the alternator and battery.  It seemed like all the electrical components started failing.  I'm going to put the new icm back on tomorrow.  And see if I can get anywhere with it.   How ould I go about diagnosing a vacuum leak?  Also most of those noises on the engine started after I unsuccessfully replaced the IAC.  

It is over 200,000 mile engine.  So yeah, real high mileage.

I also noticed that the iac did not have an oring on It when I pulled it out.  Could this be a problem?

Edited by Spazzaroth (see edit history)

If memory serves me a gasket is needed for the IAC, but it's not an o ring [fiber washer?]. Also what is over looked is cleaning inside the cavity where the IAC goes. I picked up a Reatta last fall that is also a high mileage car. It had a lot of the symptoms you described. The previous owner had just bought a new IAC to install and all I did was clean the original IAC and the IAC housing. Ran great after that.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Spazzaroth said:

The odd thing is that most of these problems all really started when I replaced the alternator and battery.

Remove the belt that drives the alternator and see if the engine runs better.  There is a slight possibility that you got a bad alternator that could be causing the problems electrically and maybe even the mechanical sounds we are hearing in the video. Just because it is new doesn't mean it is good.

If you hold your foot on the gas and the engine runs fine as long as you hold the RPM above 1200 the idling problem is most likely to be the IAC.... possibly a vacuum leak

Well this is exciting.  So I put the new coil pack back on and the new i c m.  So now it's got a new MAF new IAC and a new ICM.  Now the idle won't drop below 2000...  And if I put the car into gear it dies immediately.

Also now if the rpm dips below 1500 at all the car dies.

Edited by Spazzaroth (see edit history)

The video clip sounded better although there are a couple of little sound glitches that may just be the recording?  I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reconnect to start the ECM over from scratch. There have been multiple parts changed, some of which the ECM needs to relearn their new readings/responses. Give it a chance to adjust and get some readings of timing, MAF, IAC and TPS.

• 4 weeks later...

You might check for a cracked PVC hose. If that hose has never been changed with that many miles, it probably is bad anyway. It won't hurt to change out the hose and PVC valve if it had not been changed in a long time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another update, since I have new camshaft sensors the only other option is to replace the ECM which I'm going to do tomorrow. Does anybody have any advice for the replacement? Do I need to worry about the prom at all? I have no idea what that is but I see it mentioned a couple times.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:04 PM, Spazzaroth said:

Another update, since I have new camshaft sensors the only other option is to replace the ECM which I'm going to do tomorrow. Does anybody have any advice for the replacement? Do I need to worry about the prom at all? I have no idea what that is but I see it mentioned a couple times.

I saw and commented on another post on this subject, but the PROM must be transferred from the original ECM to any replacement. The Prom is blue and approx. 3/4" x 4.5" long, located under the removable cover on top of the ECM. Without a Prom, it won't run and the wrong one may do unpredictable things.

• 2 weeks later...