mhocker

AACA Library selling $3 Automobile Quarterlies (OR 5 for $10) EPIC BLOWOUT SALE

The AACA Library has a surplus of duplicate Automobile Quarterlies from Volume 2 through Volume 41 (and some executive planners), and we are in "spring cleaning" mode. We are selling them for $3.00 each OR 5 for $10.00, plus shipping. This would be a great way to fill in the gaps for your personal AQ library. Just send us a list of the issues you are looking for, and we will pull any remaining issues for you. Quantities are limited and available on a first-come-first-serve basis. No long-term holds, as we aim to quickly move these.

Shipping

Buy one or buy them all. If you choose to do in-person pick-up you can avoid shipping charges. Shipping within the U.S. will be handled via USPS Media Mail, with sample costs outlined as followed:

• In-Person Pick-Up: FREE
  • 1 book:     $4.27
  • 2 books:   $4.79
  • 3 books:   $5.83
  • 4 books:   $6.35
  • 5 books:   $6.87
  • 15 books: $16.00
  • 29 books: $28.00 (This is the maximum number of Quarterlies we are able to ship in a single box.)

Condition

Condition varies from good condition with some wear along the edges to excellent condition. As a general rule of thumb, the later volumes tend to be in the best shape. Due to out pricing, we are not able to respond to condition description requests for specific issues. 

Here at the library, Automobile Quarterly is one of our favorite resources, and we hope to find a good home for every issue. Will it be yours?

For more information, place a comment, send a direct message, email, or call. Contact Matthew Hocker.

Email: mhocker@aaca.org

Phone: 717-534-2082 

Automobile Quarterlies.jpg

• Like 6

Is there a better value in car books then Automobile Quarterly? If there is, I can't think of it.

• Like 3

By far the finest set of automotive books ever published. I have the entire collection Vol-1-1 to Vol 52-1 (205 books + couple onf indices) except for a single issue, volume 52-1 published  in 1st quarter of 2012 (if anyone has one to part with let me know). It was such a shame they ended publishing at that time after starting in 1962. I refer to them regularly to settle historical discussion/info on many cars.

• Like 2

You guys are right.  These books are great reading, incredible photography and fairly diverse.  They never get old, and picking any issue up is a delight.  For those that do not have these. this is a chance to buy AQ at bargain basement prices and to help out our library at the same time.  

• Like 3

Where can we find an index of individual issue content?  

Posted (edited)

In 1985 AQ published a 225 page "Twenty Year Cumulative Index", covering Vol 1-1 thru Vol 20-4. I see 2 of them currently selling on ebay. Earlier indices covered 4 year cycles. I have the 20year index, not sure if they produced any indices for later volumes.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

I ordered 6 that I know have some form of Pierce-Arrow article in them, where else can you get that for about $20.00?

I wish I had the index to see if there are more, but at least they had all 6...

The 20 year index shows P-A articles in Vol 6-3, Vol 14-3, and Vol 18-2. If you cannot find a further listing, I suppose I could do a quick look thru the other 31 volumes (124 books) I have.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

In 1985 AQ published a 225 page "Twenty Year Cumulative Index", covering Vol 1-1 thru Vol 20-4. I see 2 of them currently selling on ebay. Earlier indices covered 4 year cycles. I have the 20year index, not sure if they produced any indices for later volumes.

I have 5 year indexes beyond the first 20.

21-25, 26-30, 31-35, 36-40.

I can look up P-A and other things tommorow if anyone wants.

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

The 20 year index shows P-A articles in Vol 6-3, Vol 14-3, and Vol 18-2.

I also found vol 21-2, vol 28-4, and vol 37-2 to have PA articles, if there are any other ones I would love to know which ones they are.

The way I found these was by searching eBay for them, but buying 1 book with shipping was nearly as much as all 6 plus shipping from the AACA Library! I know who I would rather have my money and it is a HUGE BARGAIN!

Thanks to the volunteers there who are making this available!

Edited by Mark Wetherbee
Adding to my comments (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mark, I made a quick sweep thru the index of each issue vol 37-3 thru 51-4 and did not see any P-A specific articles. Do you have a copy of the 1971 publication "Pierce-Arrow, First among America's finest", a soft cover  black and white 5"x8.5" 160 page book in the series "Ballantine's Illustrated History of the Car", marque book #4. I have a very good one, is a nice history of the marque from 1901-1938. If it is something you're interested in send me a PM, it is mostly collecting dust among a few hundred automotive books I have.

Great deal and fantastic service.  Matthew found the one I wanted and has sent it along to a friend who needed it.  Thank You.

8 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I also found vol 21-2, vol 28-4, and vol 37-2 to have PA articles, if there are any other ones I would love to know which ones they are.

I've been out of the house all day. I should have time to take a look tomorrow (Saturday).

If its not too much trouble, which issues have articles on the pre-war custom coachbuilders but American, English and European?

58L-Y8, that would be a lot of trouble!. (I assume you are asking for builders from all 3 countries?). Every second or 3rd issue (and there are over 200 issues) had detailed coverage of cars with custom coachwork, sometimes including such custom work within an article on the brand in general. I recently read an article  on a custom Coachbuilder from Switzerland, Tusher, about Vol 37, wonderful article on a little known coachbuilder. It was of particular interest to me because a friend had recently restored (20 years ago) a '38 Alfa Romeo Cabriolet that had been originally bodied by Tuscher after purchasing a rolling chassis for a Swiss customer. If you were looking for a specific builder (Murphy say), or custom work on a specific car (Duesenberg) or year (1931), someone may be able to check indices for that.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:54 AM, Mark Wetherbee said:

The way I found these was by searching eBay for them, but buying 1 book with shipping was nearly as much as all 6 plus shipping from the AACA Library! I know who I would rather have my money and it is a HUGE BARGAIN!

Thanks to the volunteers there who are making this available!

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_9414.jpg

IMG_9415.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

IMG_9418.jpg

IMG_9419.jpg

IMG_9420.jpg

Thanks for the responses everyone. Seeing all the mentions of indexes, I went ahead and scanned the ones we had in the library. If you are looking for issues featuring articles on a specific make, feel free to send me a message and I can send you the page for reference and to help you with deciding whether or not you want to purchase an issue.

I'm currently going through all the messages I received through the weekend so, if I haven't gotten back to you yet you'll hear from me today.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 1

Thank you Matt, my books came Saturday and I have been reading ever since.

For anyone who is not sure, let’s just say all 6 books I received look like brand new ones. I am very pleased with the price, Quality, and great service received from this opportunity!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

Here are links to the indexes for your reference.

Volume 1 through 20

https://www.dropbox.com/s/va8fczrv3bfg18e/Automobile Quarterly Index Vol. 1-20.pdf?dl=0 

Volume 21 through 40

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryxuse6rav4fjg1/Automobile Quarterly Index Vol. 21-40.pdf?dl=0

For articles about a specific make, scroll down until you come across the main entry (for example, "Ford" under the "F" section). The articles are typically the first things listed. There are also references to specific pages with photographs and mentions of the car.

This should hopefully help you narrow down the ones you put on your "wishlist."

Best Regards,

Matt

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you, Matt. Recieved my boxes 2 days ago. Now to Make room and expand my Automobile Library. Time to donate some of my History and Biography books to my local library!  Right side bookshelves are Automotive and the left side are the rest.  I have about 60 more recently read automotive books on the floor to add also. Also time to store some of the old SCCA, AACA and other assorted trophies to make room. Yes, I am a pack rat! 🙂

IMG_7070.JPG

IMG_7104.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Philip, those books are heavy so make sure you shelves can handle them.  I had to separate as my custom shelves started sagging!!  Probably my builders fault more than anything. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your orders, everyone! I'm glad to hear many of you have received them in the mail. The sale has been a resounding success - We are now down to five boxes!

• Thanks 1