ceramic polish

Booreatta

Chuck

I have heard ads for this new polishing product on a radio program.  I would buy it and test it on my 1990 convertible but I have, like some, about 6 opened and partially used compounds / waxes, carnauba, etc etc.  I would rather use what I have then buy yet another new product.  Anybody else tried this product?

After watching the video here is what I got out of it.

On the plus side:

1. You can throw a bucket of muddy water on the hood of your car and more of it will slide off if you use this product. Not all of it just more of it.
  2. You can apply it over a protective film. I've never known anyone who applied the film to their car but it might be good that you can do that. If you do have the film on your car you can put scratches on your car with a brass brush and remove them with a hair dryer. Again, I've never known anyone to do that.
  3. It's easier to wash your car and you don't have to do it as often, but you still have to wash it. To me washing and drying a slightly dirty car is just as hard as washing a normally dirty car.

Now the negatives.

1. He said, "...although the application is straight forward, it is just as easy to mess up". That, along with it being really hard to remove killed it for me.  Seems like as I get older I screw up a lot more often! :)
  2. You have to wear protective clothing and gear to apply it.  I'm not sure I want to wear a hazmat suit to protect the paint on my Reatta.
  3. You need to start with the paint in excellent condition to get good results. It will not remove scratches or other defects in the paint and it doesn't protect the paint from that kind of damage without their protective film applied first.
  4. It is almost impossible to remove. The way I understood it you almost have to buff the car to get it off.  I'd rather buff the paint and just apply a good wax a little more often. You can probably make the car shine better with a buffer than you can with a product that comes out of an eye dropper anyway.

This stuff might be great if you had a new high dollar car and wanted to protect the paint by having a professional apply this new coating.  I don't think this is for us Reatta guys. Most of our cars probably don't have the quality of paint that would justify using the product. Those that do probably have their Reatta sitting in a climate controlled garage and only get them out for shows anyway.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I must admit it was a head scratcher for me. I don't know what ceramic has to do with anything, since it pretty clearly stated it was a silicone product. I suppose ceramic could be used to imply it is hard and tough, much like turbo is used in conjunction with many products to portray speed or extra power? I agree with Ronnie that it may be useful for a new vehicle, but from my limited paint shop experience, silicones and painting are pretty much mutually exclusive. Not knocking the product itself without direct experience,  but I will stick with an occasional clay bar treatment and a decent liquid wax.