Yaaaayyyyyy I found it!!!

misteroman

When I widened the driveway I had to move the SA into the back garage.  Later in the day I walked by it and noticed the badge was missing!!!!! This was the only badge I had as the other one was missing when I bought it back in 16 from the people my Dad sold it to in 01. They said they noticed it missing about 5 yrs prior and could never find one. 

Anyways there was a big pile of dirt and stone in the driveway from where we pushed the dirt to make room for the fresh stone. Since it was 60 in wny the last few days I thought was about time to sift through the dirt and hopefully find it. Only other thing was someone came into driveway last year and stole it which would've been unlikely but who knows.

Well about 30.mins into the pile grabbing the dirt and stone a handful at I time I grab this metal thing I thought was the end of a spoon. It was the SA emblem!!!!!!!! I always thought it was plastic and best case scenario it would be snapped in half. Was shocked to find it was metal. Good job GM!!!!!

Seeing as today was my birthday I guess it was icing on the cake! 

Now to figure out how to make a copy.

Any ideas?

Derek

20190408_195315.jpg

• Like 6

Make a urethane mold using the original, cast one from resin, then have it "plated".

Dunno where these are on the car, but if they're on the sides you might find that other one is reversed (i.e. the arrowhead is at the other end).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, misteroman said:

When I widened the driveway I had to move the SA into the back garage.  Later in the day I walked by it and noticed the badge was missing!!!!! This was the only badge I had as the other one was missing when I bought it back in 16 from the people my Dad sold it to in 01. They said they noticed it missing about 5 yrs prior and could never find one. 

Anyways there was a big pile of dirt and stone in the driveway from where we pushed the dirt to make room for the fresh stone. Since it was 60 in wny the last few days I thought was about time to sift through the dirt and hopefully find it. Only other thing was someone came into driveway last year and stole it which would've been unlikely but who knows.

Well about 30.mins into the pile grabbing the dirt and stone a handful at I time I grab this metal thing I thought was the end of a spoon. It was the SA emblem!!!!!!!! I always thought it was plastic and best case scenario it would be snapped in half. Was shocked to find it was metal. Good job GM!!!!!

Seeing as today was my birthday I guess it was icing on the cake! 

Now to figure out how to make a copy.

Any ideas?

Derek

Happy belated Birthday!

And, congrats on finding it, they are pretty hard to come by.

Here is a picture of the emblems together, they are different side to side as Kevin mentioned above.

IMG_4550-3.thumb.JPG.2e3f2542c4ec37f4e34d8104debce990.JPG

These are a new; well a 20 year old, never used, pair, I have in the garage. Sorry, I'm not ready to part with them, as of right now anyway.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

Maybe a SA owner could post some pics of these SA trim pieces installed on a car?

As requested …

1228935671_99Rivieras018(2).thumb.JPG.4020236067894b75b8da0c116d7d21ae.JPG

The above picture shows both side emblems, one of the "artsy" pictures I took of them together a few years ago.

• Like 1

Good day.

Don't know much about it, but would 3D printing be an option? Chroming it may be a bit of a challenge, but there are some products that can produce a pretty good 'chrome-finish' that may do the trick. Again, don't know much about 3D printing, and as hard as it is for a lot of us to embrace, we are well into the 21st century and our emerging (and established) technology can be amazing...

Anyway, just brainstorming along, good luck.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

Hyr

13 hours ago, MikeJS said:

Good day.

Don't know much about it, but would 3D printing be an option? Chroming it may be a bit of a challenge, but there are some products that can produce a pretty good 'chrome-finish' that may do the trick. Again, don't know much about 3D printing, and as hard as it is for a lot of us to embrace, we are well into the 21st century and our emerging (and established) technology can be amazing...

Anyway, just brainstorming along, good luck.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

As Ed indicated above, Hydro-dipping would be an option to get that chrome-like effect without paying for actual chrome plating. Plus it's a LOT cheaper and safer for the environment.

My two cents worth...