63 Riviera seat springs

Turbinator

My rear seat was rotten from years of sitting on wet carpet from the typical leaking wind channel. I got two semi rusted ones from CTC Auto Ranch in Denton Texas, then MIG welded parts up from all three to make one really good one. The good news is that the actual springs are universal to GM cars of the same era. They are un painted from the factory so even a really dry car could have rusty springs and seat frames. In my experience, most salvage parts cars have terrible rear seats parts. If you have some time and patience, you can probably restore yours. Also, its a good excuse to buy a MIG welder and learn. The welds on a seat frame don't have to look pretty. Only the upholstery guy will see. PRL

• Thanks 2

I have a set of '64 standard springs cleaned and painted set aside for my car. If you need detailed pictures I have quite a few. Or I can get them down and take fresh ones of what you need.

I bought a set of '65 custom seats back in '78. The '64 frames were supposed to get upholstered for this refreshing of the car.

Here there are getting the old uph removed and ready for paint.

025.thumb.jpg.adbc06f31cfe4c3d1d08ec6c7f50d921.jpg005001.thumb.jpg.c4f751d5260e25655e67c17f3c65ad41.jpg

005001.thumb.jpg.c4f751d5260e25655e67c17f3c65ad41.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Bob, there is no source on new springs, but check out the post on the forum with the rear seat for sale.......it may have

good seat frames and springs.

Winston, I have a number of directions I’m pursuing to get the springs. Gene has a passenger bottom bucket from a 63. Id like new springs so interchangeability with other GM body types that match up with the 63 E body could work. I found an advertiser in Hemmings that promises to make the springs for you, but he needs a sample.

Thank you for the help, I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Turbinator

On 4/10/2019 at 11:13 AM, Seafoam65 said:

Bob, there is no source on new springs, but check out the post on the forum with the rear seat for sale.......it may have

good seat frames and springs.

Winston, thank you. I got a bottom bucket ( passenger) from Gene. I’ll check out the tension in the springs. I believe Gene has the solution.

thank you

Turbinator

11 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

Mike, thank you for thinking of me and running the find “down”. I never thought of craigslist for the springs. I use craigslist to buy and sell outdoor power equipment , fence posts, etc 

Turbinator

On 4/10/2019 at 12:47 PM, petelempert said:

My rear seat was rotten from years of sitting on wet carpet from the typical leaking wind channel. I got two semi rusted ones from CTC Auto Ranch in Denton Texas, then MIG welded parts up from all three to make one really good one. The good news is that the actual springs are universal to GM cars of the same era. They are un painted from the factory so even a really dry car could have rusty springs and seat frames. In my experience, most salvage parts cars have terrible rear seats parts. If you have some time and patience, you can probably restore yours. Also, its a good excuse to buy a MIG welder and learn. The welds on a seat frame don't have to look pretty. Only the upholstery guy will see. PRL

I could use one of those multi purpose welders that does, stick, MIG & TIG. You can get them off rental at Roberts Oxygen in Baltimore