Looking for main and rod bearings-1937 President 8-FOUND

I'm trying to get my 1937 President 8 engine rebuilt for my Indy car replica, need bearings for the rods and crankshaft.  I know these are scarce, but at least I "only" need standard size bearings.  Here's the list with old and new numbers from the 1929-40 and 1934-46 parts books.  Same bearings were used 1935-42.  

Rod bearings (16 halves) 180917/513817

Main #1:      185876/516349, qty 1

Main #2,4,6,8:   185875/516352, qty 4

Main #3, 7:        185872/516350, qty 2

Main #5:           185874/516351, qty 1

Main #9           185873/185873, qty1

Thrust washer: 174053/516745, qty 1

So, what have you got tucked  away that you would be willing to part with? 

bearings-Studebaker President.jpg

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

No, I don't have the FM numbers.  I couldn't find a vintage catalog online that shows them.  Does anyone have an old FM catalog that would show 1935-42 Studebaker President 8 bearings?

I have some FM catalogs and McQuay Norris from that era.

462291007_McQuay.thumb.png.810d456be909b5eb5f6d8e7ec7beff79.png

I always wanted to make a spreadsheet with all part numbers from the many

bearing manufactures with interchanges to Studebaker numbers.

Did someone start on this and want to contribute to this effort.

I really am swamped with parts requests and probably won't start on this till 

winter.

Here are some Federal Mogul numbers from the 1941 Federal Mogul Jobber's Catalog No. 41A

Looks like they all are 9300 series numbers. They also appear in the 1962 Catalog

Rod bearings (16 halves) 180917/513817                     FM 9300CS

Main #1:      185876/516349, qty 1                                    FM 9301CS

Main #2,4,6,8:   185875/516352, qty 4                            FM 9303CSI

Main #3, 7:        185872/516350, qty 2                             FM 9303CS

Main #5:           185874/516351, qty 1                               FM 9302CS

Main #9           185873/185873, qty1                                  FM 9304CS

Thrust washer: 174053/516745, qty 1

1366022129_FederalMogulStudebaker.thumb.jpg.59bf87a5ada8811b2c23a00a6e284ac3.jpg

From a 1953 McQuay-Norris Catalog:

1936 - 1941 President 2C-7C

Con-Rod Bearing - 2701

Front Main - 2702

Center Main - 2703

Rear Main - 2704

Intermediate Main - 2705, 2706

Complete Main Bearing Set - MBS-85

2701 - Copper Alloy Bearing available Std., .002, .010, .020 and .060.

2702, 2703, 2704, 2705, 2706 Babbitt Bearings available Std. and .060.

Great info, thanks!  Having the FM numbers improves my chances of finding the bearings. 

I’ve never figured out a good way to disseminate this kind of info to others who could use it someday. The Studebaker National Museum archives might be the right place, but it would be better if online and accessible. 

4 hours ago, r1lark said:

Wow, even .075" undersize available from Federal Mogul! Seems like a lot to cut a crank undersize but maybe these older engines were way over designed so they had lots of extra meat on the journals 

I've seen those undersized bearings and on the box it says resizeable.  So they could be sized to what you need, such as .40 under. 

The photo of the bearing boxes shows ones that belong to someone else. I took the picture so I didn’t have to write down the part numbers. I’ve called a bunch of suppliers of vintage parts, given them the numbers, but no luck so far. Still waiting to see if the new crew at SI can find any of those bearings after the move. Ford Stoecker rebuilt his engine by adapting bearings from other equipment, but no longer recommends that solution. Someone probably has several sets squirreled away, I just need to make contact and offer a compelling case why my project is worthy. 😁

I’m amazed that an engine that early had off the shelf inserts in rods and mains.......not just semi finished......

So I found all of the mains in STD except for the rear most one with the oddball 185873 part number.  I hope that one is easiest to find, since it was common practice to replace it while doing engine work/main seal.  I must have over 20 of Comm 6, a dozen V8  and 8 or 9 Champion rear most bearings from old dealer stock.  

I am running into other old stock bearings while looking for these. Lots of old Champion and Comm 6 in the mix. 

On 4/14/2019 at 8:15 PM, studerex said:

SI contacted me looking for those bearings for their 42 pres.  So they need them also.  They recently bought Shrocks inventory.  I wonder if they had any. 

You probably meant Stephan Allen.

They are working on a 1942 President.

I found a bearing with 'shoulders' that measures 2  3/4   and has a 1 1/16  bearing surface. 

Any ideas what it may be?  If I read the chart correctly, his engine needs a bearing only 2  1/2 inches.   

On 4/14/2019 at 6:51 PM, Gary_Ash said:

The photo of the bearing boxes shows ones that belong to someone else. I took the picture so I didn’t have to write down the part numbers. I’ve called a bunch of suppliers of vintage parts, given them the numbers, but no luck so far. Still waiting to see if the new crew at SI can find any of those bearings after the move. Ford Stoecker rebuilt his engine by adapting bearings from other equipment, but no longer recommends that solution. Someone probably has several sets squirreled away, I just need to make contact and offer a compelling case why my project is worthy. 😁

Gary Ash

I send you a long email on these bearings and

received no answer.

Are you allright?

Hello All

My father has been restoring a 36 President and has run into similar issues as Gary when trying to rebuild the engine.  To add to the challenge my father requires .010 undersize main bearings (or a set of the .060 or.075 undersize to line hone) and .020 undersized rod bearings.

To help in his search I had started to put together a spread sheet of the parts he needed and the equivalent part numbers from other manufacturers. The above posts have confirmed some of these and added others, although I could not find different PNs for undersize McQuay or FM bearings. Not sure if this is the task you were talking about above Bob?  Happy to provide anyone with this spread sheet or fix any errors if I have made a mistake.

We have found some parts but I am still looking for main and rod bearings, and the timing gear set. Please let me know if anyone has any of these for sale or knows someone who may.

384745503_PartsRequiredfor1936PresidentEngineRebuild.thumb.png.b666c4a73c5df6c1a00e29d243a5468c.png

Yes , this spreadsheet is very helpful.

I would like to add numbers from other manufacturers such as Globe and King.

Where are you located?

I believe there were three different types

of bearings used on the smaller straight eight

engines.Early engines had the bearings babbitted in the block and from 1931-1934 the bearing shells were thick and in 1935-1942 they were thin shell bearings.

I am not sure that this is correct and maybe someone can add to this.

Cam bearings have been remanufactured by

Dave Thibeault. (nine eight seven 897 3158)

Others that I have been in contact with have had their engines overhauled by re-babbiting their old

bearings and line bored to the wanted size.

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

I am located in Canberra, Australia.

I am happy to either provide anyone with the spread sheet, or add to it with additional parts, alternate manufacturers or other details for the President.

My email is gfrostie@hotmail.com.

I had contacted Dave Thibeault, and have since sourced the cam bearings from him.  He has been a great help.

Line boring for alternate bearings or re-babbiting are the 2 remaining options if we can't find the other bearings, and still looking for the timing gear set.

I now having a bunch of rod and main bearings here and others coming from all over.  It's amazing that a few dealers in NOS parts still had a few of the bearings, even if they were not the usual Studebaker vendors.  I'd still like to find one standard size rear main bearing, 185873.  Thanks for all the help.