1937 Cadillac V-12 Formal Sedan

This 1937 Cadillac Twelve Formal Sedan by Fleetwood is Style 37-7509F with 150 bhp, 368 cu. in. overhead valve V-12 engine mated to a three-speed selective synchromesh manual transmission with independent front suspension residing on a 138″ Wheelbase.

• Believed to be the only twelve-cylinder fastback formal sedan produced
• Used by the Munster family in the first season of the TV series
• CCCA Award winner

This lovely twelve-cylinder formal sedan was ordered in early October of 1937, by a Doctor Thompson, of Glendale, California. It was delivered through the famed Don Lee Cadillac distributorship in Los Angeles. Of the 43 V-12 chassis with divider window coachwork, only 11 of those examples were of the Style 37-7509F variety.  The “F” at the end of the style designation refers to Formal, referring to the padded leather top. It is believed that of those examples, 10 were the so-called humpback style with a bustle-back rear end, leaving this as the only fastback example built.

By 1964, the car was in the hands of noted West Coast collector and television writer Bob Mosher, who was so enthralled with the car that he immediately wrote it into several episodes of the hit television series The Munsters. It was the star of an episode entitled “The Midnight Ride of Herman Munster” and can clearly be seen in the episode numerous times, with its original interior, paint, and trim. It is seen today exactly as ordered.

Today, the Cadillac retains its original coachwork, engine, chassis, transmission, and interior. It has travelled 50,000 miles since new and, combined with its long-term care by a series of collectors, it presents in an outstanding state of preservation. In 1968, it was awarded Senior Badge Number 412 at the CCCA Texas Grand Classic.  It appeared at the Amelia Island Concours in 2008, and it also participated in the CARavan that year. Included in the car file is a copy of the original build sheet, correspondence from several different owners, stills from the episodes featuring the car, season one of The Munsters on DVD, a full service manual, and its original tool roll.

This Cadillac is located in Smithfield, RI and asking $59,500.  Full photoshoot scheduled.

161557_Front_3-4_Web-2.jpg

161557_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

10421493_10205747001786029_9102545100914708466_n-2-2.jpg

8.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Hi there Tom. Did you acquire this Caddy recently from a collector in New Jersey? I remember seeing this car at a show in Jersey and the owner said it was the Munster TV show car. I have no reason to question him as he is a standup man in the old car community. It could very well be the only 85 formal fastback built although there is a 37 85 Town Car floating around which is also a fastback with a trunk rack. I recall Car Collector and Car Classic Magazine did a full story on this exact car around 1982. I have the magazine somewhere. There was always question as to if the car was red or black in the Munster show since it was filmed in black and white.

It's on consignment from the NJ owner.  Yes, there is a town town car somewhere, I recall seeing it, however we do not know of another formal sedan V-12.  If you have that mag, can you take a few pictures of the article?  

On 4/9/2019 at 8:39 PM, K8096 said:

Here's a picture of the car John worked on when it was a nice original car.  Photo taken near Akron, OH circa 1960.   

IMG_4115.JPG

Yes, hard to believe - when we got the Town Cabriolet from Gordon Apker the drive-line was 100% swapped out with a 1941 and we needed a parts car for most all the trim, dash, die cast, and .... Gordon was actually prepped car to be converted to a V-12 too. 

I tell you what - I would jump at the V-12 Tom is offering as it is such a nice car. 

f435247cae1400531316ae4e73fb128f.thumb.jpg.02a8cf4d0d255452345a06ab4a46f1f8.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)