Roger Walling

Posiable scam?

Posted (edited)

I received this PM today.

It looks like a scam.

"Hello
My name is mahdi

I have physical disabilities
. I'm going to buy a 1978 buick skylark 4 door.. but there is a problem with the car - a problem with the engine -
There are problems with the electrician - I'm looking for a guide to repair the engine and wiring diagram.

Do you have a pdf sevice repair manual    for download?

Could you help me?"

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Possibly not.  Scammers tend not to ask for

technical manuals in PDF!  The same person is evidently

from a Near Eastern country and asking questions

about a Buick Skylark on our forum.  He's likely not an

antique car aficionado, but just wants some help on an

old car--help which he can't find so far away from its place of

manufacture.  He added his questions at the end of this old thread:

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I got a similar email claiming he was about to buy this half stripped junker and asking for help to fix it. I told him to buy a better car.

I think he really wants our help and hasn't asked you for money. If he needs information we should help as we would any other.

• Like 4

it may well be a possible scam but I am not sure about it being a posibial scam having never seen one😃

5 hours ago, 54vicky said:

it may well be a possible scam but I am not sure about it being a posibial scam having never seen one😃

Well I hope you will know one if you are targeted. I don't think this is it.

happyzip.jpg

• Like 2

Got the same message, I hope he finds some help.

• Like 1

WAKE UP !

Of course it's a scam..after a few contacts he will have you on the hook, and move on to the real efrfort.

So, no one should direct him to a PDF for the

shop manual?  We are awake and alert, to the

disappointment of all dishonest people;  but I

believe this to be a real request.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's highly doubtful it's a scam. Scammers try to get their victim to download files or click on links. He's simply asking for information he can download. If you receive a message with an attachment or a clickable link from someone you don't fully trust, don't click on it. Doing so may download a malicious threat or take you to a website with malicious code.

Good protection is to use Mozilla Firefox for the browser, it is much more secure than Microsoft Internet explorer. Most attackers target explorer because that is what most people use. Firefox has many built in protections. It has an up to date database of malicious sites and will block them if inadvertently accessed.

If you're using Windows XP (still) or Windows 7 32 bit on the internet, it's time to upgrade, those old systems were very un-secure with easily accessed ports. Move up to at least Windows 7 64 bit (newer computer with a 64 bit mother board). 64 bit PC running Firefox is pretty bullet proof.

This guy just wants help.

-Ron

If you're running XP your PC is most likely 32 bit, if you're running Win7 and not sure if it's 32 or 64 bit, click on the globe Windows icon in the lower left of the screen and type in "dxdiag", it will list everything about your PC.

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2019 at 8:05 AM, Roger Walling said:

I received this PM today.

It looks like a scam.

"Hello
My name is mahdi

I have physical disabilities
. I'm going to buy a 1978 buick skylark 4 door.. but there is a problem with the car - a problem with the engine -
There are problems with the electrician - I'm looking for a guide to repair the engine and wiring diagram.

Do you have a pdf sevice repair manual    for download?

Could you help me?"

Not sure how that could be a scam designed to do anything but waste your time. He's not asking for money or trying to buy anything. Scams usually are about bilking money from rubes. I get E-mails all the time from people looking for esoteric automotive-related information. One person e-mailed just last week to see if I knew the torque spec on the cam nut of a 1933 Buick. They find my name through Google and give it a shot. I always try to help if I can.

Until they ask for money through Western Union, or pose as a friend who is stranded in a foreign country, or tell you that you have won something and all you need to do is pay a little fee, or that they want to buy your "item" at full asking price, it's probably not anything to worry about. It never hurts to talk to them and get more information and if it's a scammer, you're wasting their time so they can't go after anyone else. I have to admit I really enjoy that part of my job.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

So, no one should direct him to a PDF for the

shop manual?  We are awake and alert, to the

disappointment of all dishonest people;  but I

believe this to be a real request.

I am with you an this one.

I simply told him that I could not be of any help.

I hope he finds what he needs.

My thoughts are to trust your gut. If you read something and you don’t feel right inside about it then stay away from it. I have had people use my posts on other forums and post them here in an effort to gain credibility. He is making it a point to target certain people with direct messages to them based on how I’m reading these responses. It doesn’t necessarily mean he is scamming anyone. At the same time it doesn’t mean he isn’t scamming anyone. People get more creative all the time and come up with ways to gain credibility prior to enacting their scams. Regardless of whether or not this is a scam if you don’t feel comfortable about something you have no obligation to do anything. Shop manuals are cheap enough to purchase. 

After reading all of the replies here , and because the person that sent me the email has not responded, even though he sent me a PM through this site,  I now believe that it is some kind of scam.

• Like 1