Buick TV Ghost Ad?

Roadster90

Harley Earl was a car designer for Buick many moons ago.

Somewhat of an icon in the design industry, My guess is they are resurrecting him, or his ghost? Question is, how many people will know about him?

The Harley Earl commercials are a direct response to the immensely successful Bill Ford ads currently running. The GM campaign also includes print ads which explain who he was, and in-store literature designed to cash in on GM's history as the world leader.

Jerry

Excuse me guys!!! Who is setting record high sales month after month after month??

GM NOT!!!

Ford NOT!!!

Chrysler NOT!!

Mitsubishi: With their "Journey" Commercials: YES YES YES

Fun sporty cars with young attractive people having fun with catchy music = HUGE increase in sales and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ PROFIT!

No disrespect BUT do I want a car from an old fart who's time has not only passed but he is dead. Yes he made very significant contributions IN HIS TIME but today???? WHAT ARE THEY THINKING???

Took me 10 times seeing the commercial to figure out just what it is that they are trying to sell and I am not certain even today. Just reminds all Buick buyers just how close to death they and Buick is, <span style="font-weight: bold"> AND I like Buicks and am trying to be kind!!!! </span> Even own a couple of them.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> [color:\\"purple\\"] I think that this is a Mitsubishi BLACK OPS commercial that is anti GM and anti Ford?? Way to go Mitsubishi Black Ops, you scored big time with your Harley Earl commercials. </span>

Do like the Ford commercials with GT 40 smile.gif

concerning the Mitsubishi sales increases: its certainly not the vehicles, which are nothing special, and its not the commercials...ITS THE FACT THAT THEY ARE OFFERING 0% INTEREST, NO DOWN PAYMENT, AND NO PAYMENTS UNTIL 2004.

here in the Phoenix area, we have a dealer group who has purchased over 6,000 new Daewoos from the Daewoo bankrupcy sale , and is selling them for 40% off of MSRP. they are selling like hotcakes. does this mean they are exceptionally fine automobiles? nope...they're just cheap!! the Mitsubishi thing is exactly the same, but can you imagine how much this program is costing Mitsubishi? lots of sales, but no profits. wink.gif

I am not in the market for a new car so I have not been watching the commercials too closely. HOWEVER the Mitsu ones have certainly caught my attention and I also believe the big 3 are also doing 0% interest, 0 down, not certain about the payment thing.

Doesn't change my opinion on the Harley Earl Buick commercials <span style="font-weight: bold"> [color:\\"green\\"] <span style="font-style: italic">WHAT ARE THEY THINKING???</span> </span>

Buick you are being left in the competition's dust smoke2.gif

I don't want to slam Buick BUT my 89 Ford had 4 valves per cylinder and Buick 2003 their top engine has 12 valve 3800 Series II V6 <span style="font-style: italic">BOARING YAWNNNNNnnnnnnnn :-((</span>

GM If you are listening SHOW ME a 24-valve V6-Variable Induction Engine- Sportronic sequential-shift 4-speed auto transmission!!!!!

Buick you are being left in the competitions dust. smoke2.gif Hurts me like a promising child underperforming or stagnant. frown.gif

I believe fake port holes were a Buick thing back about the time Harley Earl was Buicks chief designer, maybe they are going to bring back port holes and fins, we'll see

If memory serves, B appears to be a 170 or 200 cu.in. Ford.

Maybe a more durable choice? shocked.gif

Always liked the inline 6, nice low end torque and smooooth.

Having been born with gasoline in my vains and polishing rags in my pockets, I do know who Harley Earl was. His contribution to GM styling can not be over looked. His first Buick concept car was called the Y-Job. Another one of his concepts cars bore the name of a car still sold sucessfully today. It's name? The LeSebre. Earl also was the creator of GM's famous Motorama car show. A program giving the public a sneak peek at the future of transportation.

The problem as I see, most people don't know who the hell Harley Earl was! While car fans, like myself, may find the ads entertaining, most won't have a clue. I think Buick's advertising dollars could have been better spent on a theme most people would "get". Howard

For Reattaray: I think the guy you are talking about is former (retired) Chrysler Styling head, Bob Lutz. D/B said he retired. I think they pushed him and so many other people out of Chrysler when they took over. He is now the GM product czar. His first order of business was to try to rework the Pontiac Aztec's exterior appearance. He also has had a part in the up coming GTO for 2004. The car will be a reworked Australian Holden. The car will have an American supplied V8 and rear wheel drive. Had he come aboard a little sooner, perhaps Oldsmobile could have be saved. Another newcomer to the GM ranks is a young man, also from Chrysler, who was the design cheif for the PT Crusier. Maybe in a few years, GM will once again be a leader in product design instead of a follower. Now if we could have a new Reatta. They brought back Harley Earl and port holes, didn't they? Hey, lets dig up Bill Mitchell while we are it to do a new Riveria. LOL. Howard

If you determine who knew who Harley was, assume that the average age of buyers of Buicks with portholes were in their 30's in the 1950's when Buicks had portholes, it would appear that Buicks target market would be in their 80's. Blame the marketers, ad people and Buick for approving the ad. Put your right hand over your right ear, left hand over your left ear and pull you head out of your a-- Buick Div.

Holden engines far outclass GM engines and you can get 18" rims stock from factory!

Don't know whether this is true but I have heard that the Holden Commodore with just a bit of work is a Corvette killer. Little wonder GM wants to put their own lame engines in them. Wouldn't want to threaten the Corvette or their existing technology.

1072RWHP, give movie time to load

Just my 2cts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Holden engines far outclass GM engines </div></div>

Holden is a subsidiary of GM... so a Holden engine <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> a GM engine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't know whether this is true but I have heard that the Holden Commodore with just a bit of work is a Corvette killer. Little wonder GM wants to put their own lame engines in them </div></div> .

First off, the LS-1 engine in the Corvette is anything but lame. Have you ever driven one? It'll pin you back in your seat pretty good. It's actually quite impressive. Secondly, as to the little bit of work statement... that is hardly fair. With a little bit of work my 1987 <span style="font-weight: bold">Buick</span> Grand National is definitely a Corvette (and most anything else) killer. Does that mean that a 15 year old Buick V6 is a better engine than the LS-1? Ummm, no. Does the fact that a modded GN is faster than a Corvette make the Corvette lame? Again, no.

The criticism of Buick, and GM in general, is well founded. The company basically sucks. But the Corvette is actually a world class car, and that includes the engine. Let's not get carried away.

Mike

My 38-year-old son is visiting, and last night walked into the room as the Harley Earl commercial was running. "My god," he said, "are they building the Tucker again?" I took another look and, sure enough, the actor looks quite a bit like Jeff Bridges as Preston Tucker in the old movie. Premonition?

Jerry

Hi Buick Mike;

I loved the ZR-1 with the 375hp LT5 engine. It was manufactured and assembled by Mercury Marine in Stiliwater, Oklahoma, then shipped to the Corvette Bowling Green assembly plant for ZR-1 vehicle assembly. It is a four overhead camshaft engine with 32 valves.

But is it a GM or Mercury engine?

AND WHY is this gem nolonger available?

Too High Tech. 4 Cams, 4 valves per cyl. Were talking High revving, great sounding, exotic class. My guess... GM can still sell the pushrod and make better profit.

I've been a buick fan since my teenage years in the 50's (cut my teeth on a 47 4 door, straight 8. There was a boat that once you got it going, just couldn't be caught) but have to admit I don't recall any Harley. Have seen some Buick ads that show portholes on a 2003 model. Not sure which one though. Think it would be great to have them back. smile.gifsmile.gif