Do you have any hood latches?    I have a 20 K45 that I am restoring and someone decided to remove all the hood latches.   I would like to borrow one if you have one and recast four of the top hook units.    The rest I can make.

Tom

Yes, I have only two hood latches.  There are supposed to be six but some scrounger removed four of them.  You can have them if you want them, and if you pay the postage.  Send your mailing address and I'll ship them off to you.  LeRoy.

Do you have any hood latches?    I have a 20 K45 that I am restoring and someone decided to remove all the hood latches.   I would like to borrow one if you have one and recast four of the top hook units.    The rest I can make.

Tom

On 5/27/2019 at 11:36 PM, Brian_Heil said:

Cast steel and still fails.

It will if it is in bending. Cast iron is poor in tension and bending brings tension on the hogging face.  Even if it is cast steel, it may still be not so good in tension.

Spinneyhill, I gather you are referring to the broken left rear axle on the Buick.  It was broken once, welded, and then it broke again.  I can't be sure, but I suspect that it may have been broken and welded twice, before the final break.  I imagine that the welding and induced heat did not do any favors to the metal, and perhaps reheating/welding compounded the problem.

14 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

It will if it is in bending. Cast iron is poor in tension and bending brings tension on the hogging face.  Even if it is cast steel, it may still be not so good in tension.

What happens is the brake backing plate rivets work loose over the years so the brake reaction member/arm has to carry more of the load and finally after many cycles, fails.   You have to correct both the rivet issue (I drilled them out and put in larger diameter grade 8 bolts) and then get a very competent welder to V grinds the fracture and repairs it.  

OldBuicks2 -- the two hood latches are on the way.  I mailed them this morning -- U.S. Postal Service.  The total (postage and little CD box) came to $5.35.  LeRoy.