Sign in to follow this  
jord

Hard Starting

My engine turns over very slowly and if it does not catch in the first seconds it won't but   when it catches it runs with perfect spark all the way around. Later when  the engine warms up it will not turn over unless I charge the battery first, then it will catch. Is it a starter problem? the engine has been rebuilt earlier but never run much. Any help. Battery is a 625 cca

Thanks 

Jord:

Sounds like a possible voltage problem, compounded by a tight rebuild.  I'd check the generator and battery condition first.  Might not be charging or holding a charge.  Starter problems are usually with the drive not catching.  I had mine rebuilt by a local shop.  The stock starter also works well on 12 Volts, but that involves other updates and most are reluctant to change. 

Abe

Slow starter test for a 6 volt system

Perform these checks when the engine is cold and the ignition is off with the high tension lead removed from the coil to prevent starting.

(1) Connect your voltmeter across the battery and crank the engine. The meter should read at least 5.5 Volts while cranking and return to at least 6 volts when you stop cranking. If it does not pass this test, slow charge the battery for at least 24 hours to bring it up to full charge and repeat the test. If it does not stay above 5.5 Volts this time, but goes back above 6 volts when you stop, your starter is probably bad. If it does not return to 6 volt or more the battery may be failing. Have it checked on a modern battery tester. If it passes the test, go on to the next test.

(2) Connect the voltmeter com or black lead to the NEG post of the battery and the red or + lead to the starter terminal and crank the engine. The meter should show 0.3 Volts or less. A higher reading means excessive resistance in the starting circuit. To find the resistance, move the + or red lead to the other end of the starter cable and repeat the test looking for a reading of 0.2 Volts or less. The battery side of the solenoid should read 0.1 V or less. If any of these readings are high, replace the cable or solenoid and repeat the test. When this test is successful go to step 3.

(3) Connect the red or + lead of the meter to the POS cable of the battery and the COM or black lead to the case of the starter (a through bolt will work) and crank the engine. The meter should read 0.1 or less. If it reads more you have a high grounding resistance.  This can be at one of the ground cable connections or where the starter mounts to the oil pan. Both the face of the oil pan mounting surface and the starter end plate should be clean with no paint.

(4) If you complete these tests and no problems were found, the starter is probably bad.

Using 12 volt battery cables will cause high resistance in the starter circuit.

Thanks Tom and Abe, checked the battery at the shop and it showed good,  I asked them to try it twice more and every time it showed less capacity and finally bad. I replaced the battery and still the same so after Toms test I reckoned it was the starter. I replaced it and now all is well and she starts like a new car and even after she has warmed up.

Next step is trying it down the street to see how it shifts and sounds. If all is well back to the body. It was such a disappointment I was ready to sell it. 

Again Thanks

• Like 1