Scout won’t start anymore

I bought a 67 scout last week and it ran great, until it ran out of gas driving off the trailer. I figured it would be fine after I filled it up, but it wouldn’t start after 10 or so minutes of on and off cranking. I got new plugs and they have good spark. Still won’t fire. I filled each cylinder and the carb with starter fluid, but that still didn’t work. So if I have spark, spray right in the cylinders, and it was running last week, I’m at a loss why it won’t start now. Any ideas or general tips about 67 scouts are greatly appriciated. Thank you, Duffy 

Not a big fan of using starter fluid in a gas engine. Is the fuel pump picking up gas from the tank? It will take time to pump the gas back up if run completely dry with the mechanical pump.

1 minute ago, Fleek said:

Not a big fan of using starter fluid in a gas engine. Is the fuel pump picking up gas from the tank? It will take time to pump the gas back up if run completely dry with the mechanical pump.

I was thinking that myself but I figured with the spray it should at least fire. It didn’t even putter

May get in trouble suggesting this as it is frowned upon these days, but a little gas put directly into the carb is how we used to prime a car. If it is getting spark and the timing is right it will fire. If it is getting spark and gas and still does not fire, the next step is to check the timing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fleek said:

May get in trouble suggesting this as it is frowned upon these days, but a little gas put directly into the carb is how we used to prime a car. If it is getting spark and the timing is right it will fire. If it is getting spark and gas and still does not fire, the next step is to check the timing. 

Ok thanks Fleek I can try that, how much would you suggest I put down the carb?

Instead of gas down the carburetor, try filling the carburetor bowl with gasoline though the bowl vent. Very possible the fuel pump has not picked up and the carb is dry.

And as Fleck suggested, if it won't fire with hot spark and a carburetor full of fresh gas, then check the timing.

Jon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you have fuel and spark to the engine and it will not start, then the third part of the equasion to make an engine run is timing. Have you checked to see if it jumped time or broke the timing chain?

• Like 1

All seems to point to a broken timing chain. I am not sure if that would cause more damage to the engine or not. Keep us posted on what you find.  Also you may want to start a new thread here. You are posting on an old thread and one of your own would be much better.  Good luck.

• Like 1