Just HAD to buy it........

Joe Cocuzza

Nice score! I passed on a copper colored 1950 Dodge woody in about the same condition for $500.00 back in 1980 or so. It was missing a rear door and I figured I would NEVER find another. I am still kicking myself on that missed opportunity.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I couldn't pass it up as I have ALWAYS liked the 49 Plymouth & Desoto wagons.

As a matter of fact my very 1st car was a 1949 Plymouth 2-door sedan. It was originally a pea green but I had it painted - guess what color?

Yep, the cream color of the Wagon.

So I guess I have come full circle now and MAYBE this will end the "sickness" I have when it comes to cars - but I doubt it.

• Like 1

Wonderful little cars. I had one a few years ago that I really enjoyed driving and my wife loved it--it was the first car she'd ever driven with 3-on-the-tree shifting and she mastered it in about 10 minutes in that Plymouth With overdrive it would run along at 65 MPH with no problems. And as far as I could tell, there are probably less than 20 of them left. Here's my old one:

001.jpg

Great find, you're going to love it!

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Joe, how many Woodies have you owned at this point? I think that you must be a carpenter at heart. Congrats on the Plymouth!

I have owned the following Woodies, as far as I can remember: Thanks for the congrats, too

1948 Oldsmobile

1949 Buick Super

1947 Nash Suburban

1953 Buick Super

1949 Dodge Coronet

4 1947  T &C Sedans

1948 T & C Convertible

1952 Buick Super

1949 Plymouth

1948 Chevrolet

1950 Packard Station Sedan

1948 Pontiac

These are the ones I can remember right off hand

I wish I was able to keep them all but space & money wouldn't allow it.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, Abe Lugo said:

so that whole tailgate goes down? awesome! nice Woody wagon.

Yes. The rear bumper is hinged in the center part and it unlatches and the center section folds down allowing clearance for the tailgate to open.

If this was missing on the car, as I have seen on others, it would be an impossible item to find.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

I have owned the following Woodies, as far as I can remember: Thanks for the congrats, too

1948 Oldsmobile

1949 Buick Super

1947 Nash Suburban

1953 Buick Super

1949 Dodge Coronet

4 1947  T &C Sedans

1948 T & C Convertible

1952 Buick Super

1949 Plymouth

1948 Chevrolet

1950 Packard Station Sedan

1948 Pontiac

These are the ones I can remember right off hand

I wish I was able to keep them all but space & money wouldn't allow it.

Holy Cow, that must be some kind of record. I notice no Fords.  Do you have nightmares about termites?

5 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Holy Cow, that must be some kind of record. I notice no Fords.  Do you have nightmares about termites?

See, you jogged my feeble memory...

Add to my list a 1941 Ford Woodie

Maybe I'll remember some others eventually

About the nightmares about termites......no nightmares.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I know it has been a long time since my last update about the Woody.

Because I was furloughed from work for a few days I decided to do some work on my cars.

The first thing I did was to get the 47 T & C running again (needed the points cleaned). It fired right up.

Then I jumped to the 49 Caddy  - installed new water pump, fuel pump, installed oil filter housing/lines, installed new thermostat and generator bracket.

I finally got to the 49 Woody today and I dropped the oil pan. All I can say is "good thing I did".

There was an inch or more of sludge in the pan and the oil pickup screen was totally gummed up.

I am soaking the pan and will remove the pickup screen and soak that, too.

Joe

On 4/4/2020 at 10:52 PM, Joe Cocuzza said:

I know it has been a long time since my last update about the Woody.

Because I was furloughed from work for a few days I decided to do some work on my cars.

The first thing I did was to get the 47 T & C running again (needed the points cleaned). It fired right up.

Then I jumped to the 49 Caddy  - installed new water pump, fuel pump, installed oil filter housing/lines, installed new thermostat and generator bracket.

I finally got to the 49 Woody today and I dropped the oil pan. All I can say is "good thing I did".

There was an inch or more of sludge in the pan and the oil pickup screen was totally gummed up.

I am soaking the pan and will remove the pickup screen and soak that, too.

Joe

Good luck with the project and keep us updated.