Sign in to follow this  
ghaskett

Nailhead with Gear Vendor Overdrive

I have a '56 with 1965 dual quad 401 and SP400. I was looking at the Gear Vendor Overdrive and am wondering if anyone has put one in a '56 and if so, did you have to modify the 'X' in the frame. I know all about adapting a 700R4,  but I'm really  interested in the Gear Vendor.  Thanks.

BEFORE you think about any OD unit or 4spOD automatic, what gear ratio is in the rear axle?

NTX5467

3:31 JAG IRS and at 65mph I'm slinging around 25, 2600 rpm.  Gear Vender is a constant 0.78.  I am looking for info from anyone who has bolted one up  in a '56 X frame

Thanks.

I am presently having a Gear vendors installed on my 41 Century that has the same X frame. The unit ends up being close to the differential with just a short coupling. That is where there is the most room under the floor. The unit adds only about 3 inchs on top.  It is not an easy installation requiring some machinist and welders skill aside from the mechanics requirements. I am having the work done by a shop in Ohio that has experience with OD installs on torque tube cars.  The overall reduction is 22 percent so not as much as the Borg Warner but a more stout unit that can be engaged when using reverse which will destroy the BW OD. Also there is no free wheeling with the Gear Vendors. I should have my work done in about a week and will know more about the results

• Like 1

You're fine at 2500 RPM.  Save your money for something else.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 10:30 PM, ghaskett said:

I have a '56 with 1965 dual quad 401 and SP400. I was looking at the Gear Vendor Overdrive and am wondering if anyone has put one in a '56 and if so, did you have to modify the 'X' in the frame. I know all about adapting a 700R4,  but I'm really  interested in the Gear Vendor.  Thanks.

Heres a pic of my 41 century installation. Same frame as yours with torque tube. Fits without modification to anything but the tube and easily clears everything.  Works great, very smooth and quiet.

20190502_112106.jpg

overdrive.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Looks like an overkill with all those bolts at the rear flange.

Hi Barney , You have to remember the torque tube is under a lot of stress and movement both vertical and lateral being a coil spring and bar linkage suspension without leaf springs bolted to the axle and frame. At its end it is bolted to the weight of the rear axle assembly brake drums and wheels moving quite rapidly at times over uneven surfaces.  The drive shaft within it is only about 1/8 of an inch from the outer casing. The unit by itself is about 40 pounds. The flanges its bolted to are welded to the casing on both ends so any flex or movement spells interference of the drive shaft to casing therefore utmost rigidity is required and it is built to withstand the power of a high horsepower engine and drag strip usage. I don't think its overkill so much as it is good engineering. 

Edited by Lawrence Helfand
spelling (see edit history)

Just comparing all those bolts to the connection closer to the differential....it appears to only have 4 bolts total.

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

Just comparing all those bolts to the connection closer to the differential....it appears to only have 4 bolts total.

Actually 5, but who's counting?;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

Apples and oranges in regards to mechanical stress dynamics. If you work your broom or shovel too hard will it break off at the very end or somewhere along the shaft? I find I am left with a broken shaft whatever the tool employing a long handle, usually the middle. It is close to the rear end on my car but the torque tube kit is designed to be inserted anywhere on the shaft like in the middle if thats what the application calls for where stress would be the highest. 

OK 
"uncle"

but why does the front of the gear vendor unit (close to the middle of the torque tube) have so few bolts?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

OK 
"uncle"

but why does the front of the gear vendor unit (close to the middle of the torque tube) have so few bolts?

That end is a bit different as the casing go's deeper with more overlap perhaps explaining why it has less bolts. It may be more robust then my 165 hp car requires so should last longer then me! 

7 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

OK 
"uncle"

I took a look at the setup again which is not visible in my install photos and will add that the flange at the other end is half the diameter but still has 16 bolts of a larger diameter holding it together. The bolt drilling could not be any closer so I wouldn't call it so few bolts really. You can visit the Gear Vendors website to see more. 

I don't have torque tube issues. Open driveline now. Just wondering if anyone has put a Gear Vendors in a 122" wheelbase '56.