Some of that stuff is pretty tenacious. Try the old Navy Boilerman's trick of light oil with sugar mixed in.

Gents, the stuff really takes forever and a day to come off.

60E22E79-922B-4D00-992B-0BDAD0F4A7EB.jpeg

The light oil and sugar should have done a better job than that.

Try alternating Xylene and the oil/sugar.

Loews or Ace Hardware should have it.

image.png.d9b2b3e43e24e219dd6462d148f99ce5.png

Bernie, Next time I use POR 15 I’ll wear the gloves. Bernie, thanks for the tip on Xylene.

Turbinator

Posted (edited)

After 30+ years in the trades, I tell my guys:  "Everyone makes mistakes;  be the guy that fixes his, and nobody will know".

Edited by TampaRiv (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

My experience with POR15:

a) no grease, humidity on the surface is a key - but this is general rule for all coats 😉. Don't use compressed air to "dry" the surface, unless you have the humidity and oil trapping system in your installation. Accordingly to POR15 manual (yes - read it first !), the surface must be completely dry, "or it will ruin your work" (especially when it is not flat surface). Best is to use the heat gun if possible (or hair dryer, or leave it for some time directly at the sunshine) - but don't coat it while still hot, of course  !

b) I get the best results when using really really small amount of the paint on the brush - so small that it was looking not possible to paint with it, but then: I was not dragging the brush there and back, but I was making many "touches" - one by one (not sure how to name it in english, but I think you got the point). First it was looking of course not good, but just leave it for some time, and POR15 starts to spread ....

c) the more paint you have on the brush, the worse result is - that is my experience

c) my result below (you can see my fingerprint close to the label, on the left)

POR.thumb.png.a763ed98cc5cf62888b9a89746d08abd.png

Edited by George Buick Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have had good luck with POR 15 painting my engine. I did mind having blue hands though.

Avoiding blue hands is not that hard.

This is Mike.

001.thumb.jpg.409fc45d1ee6d0a11efc49e4661eec96.jpg

He did good work on the '64 Riviera engine.

015.thumb.png.94cf839e721ccc52d8a1faf694156578.png

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 6:02 PM, George Buick Riviera said:

My experience with POR15:

a) no grease, humidity on the surface is a key - but this is general rule for all coats 😉. Don't use compressed air to "dry" the surface, unless you have the humidity and oil trapping system in your installation. Accordingly to POR15 manual (yes - read it first !), the surface must be completely dry, "or it will ruin your work" (especially when it is not flat surface). Best is to use the heat gun if possible (or hair dryer, or leave it for some time directly at the sunshine) - but don't coat it while still hot, of course  !

b) I get the best results when using really really small amount of the paint on the brush - so small that it was looking not possible to paint with it, but then: I was not dragging the brush there and back, but I was making many "touches" - one by one (not sure how to name it in english, but I think you got the point). First it was looking of course not good, but just leave it for some time, and POR15 starts to spread ....

c) the more paint you have on the brush, the worse result is - that is my experience

c) my result below (you can see my fingerprint close to the label, on the left)

POR.thumb.png.a763ed98cc5cf62888b9a89746d08abd.png

Thank you for your input. Your experience will help me finish up the places I missed on my under carriage. So far the POR 15 is holding very well. I m under the car more times than I want to tell,

so I see the POR 15. Using smaller amounts on the brush, huh, you cannot use too little. I’ll give it a try 😊

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Thank you for your input. Your experience will help me finish up the places I missed on my under carriage. So far the POR 15 is holding very well. I m under the car more times than I want to tell,

so I see the POR 15. Using smaller amounts on the brush, huh, you cannot use too little. I’ll give it a try 😊

Please let us know your result.

18 hours ago, George Buick Riviera said:

Please let us know your result.

George, I’ll be certain to take pics and show work in progress. The POR 15 for me is about preservation and not decoration. Although, the underside looks consistent with the black Top Coat.

Turbinator

• Like 1