Morgan's cut out has the deflector plate with it installed over the cutout valve. It the valve, looks like a long stemmed exhaust or intake valve seated in the cast iron body...this cast iron body is also the the front end of the rebuildable muffler..

.Success... today I drove the 17 buick to town(6 mile road trip at 27F  brr) for a tank of gas and NYS inspection....all ran surprising well considering that was its first powered trip down the road in 43 years!!!   This is the first buick I've owned that does not leak fluids of some sort!!!

I did notice a little popping in  the carb...can't remember if that is symptomatic of the mix too lean or rich?   I did rebuild the carb with a new float, set the low speed jet and air valve spring to generally where the book says. The popping occurred pulling under load at times.  Top speed was 35mph I did not want to push it.  Seems as though its top end would be a comfortable 45...or higher pushing it.

• Like 2

I'm putting my fuel tank in today, then all I have to do to get it started is...........put a battery in and mess with the DELCO for awhile.

.....and change the spark plug wires which are 80 years old.

Almost there!!!

• Like 1

Morgan.....   What does the inside of the tank and vacuum tank look like ....mine last ran in 1976 but the tank and vacuum tank were so buggered up with tar and crap I had no choice to take them out for professional attention. Make those inspections before adding fresh gas.  If you are just looking to see it run, Disconnect the fuel line and  attack the vacuum tank first as it can be used as a gravity pony tank for a few minutes of operation.   Good luck with the first start.   From the first drive I think the 16/17 rear end must be geared for a higher top end as opposed, to what my 21 and 23 were.

Good to hear...and good luck with that first start.

I took the car out with the wife and dog this afternoon 8 miles ran good they were pleased.....I tweeked the carb but found 2 valve cages that needed to  tightened up after the car was fully warmed up.  Could be I was sucking air around the not fully seated cages.   Found the same situation on my 21 and it fixed the problem....Tomorrow morning I'm taking it to the next town over Edinburg for breakfast 10 miles round.  All in all it seems to be a good runner and starts easy with the 8 volt battery.

• Like 1