17 buick

tblack

The Buick cleaned up pretty good and seems to run pretty good...next step to drive it to town for a tank of gas( First trip since 1976) and get it inspected..   Think it looks better with or without the poor man's dual windshield??  I pulled the touring tags off the back of the back seat and put them on a board so you can see them. It  made it up Pikes Peak in 1964 maybe i'll take it up the back mountain just out of town here. Some engine pictures to show off those wonky mismatched valves, but any port in a storm to keep it going.

buick spring 2.JPG

buick spring 10.JPG

buick spring 6.JPG

• Like 3

Me too!!! Looks fantastic !!! But how does it work in the real world ? I expect it works pretty well, but could cause a low pressure region which might suck exhaust into the back seat ? I don't know, but I am curious.   -   Carl 

Carl...not sure how it works and probably will never ride in the backseat. Cant imagine an open car will trap any gases but I could give my neighbor's parakeets a ride as a precaution.   I can step on the exhaust cut out it still works.   I guess i'm in the like it and keep it camp but  I'll let the next owner decide(never keep these cars too long so anyone making a reasonable offer(trade) could be the proud new owner of the car with the dual windshield!!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am a real fan of dual wind shields when they are a factory installation.  To me, functionally it may do what needs to be done, but aesthetically it does not fit the car.  Then there is aftermarket and there is homemade.  If you think it was truly a period accessory, that is one thing.   I would put it in a box along with a picture of what it looks like installed for the next owner to decide.  I would put the box next to all the badges that look really cool too, but do not belong affixed to the back of the front seat.  Just my opinion.  It is a really nice looking car and I am glad to see that you have it back on the road.  Hugh

Yes it is a period correct aftermarket accessory By by JH Shield Tonneau Cover from 1912 through the early 30's.    This may have been installed circa 1953 when the touring owner was on his Glidden runs.  The windshield folds in on the sides and swings down out of the way if you are not using it.

Tom:

So glad that you are back in the Buick saddle again!

Here is a 1924-45 that I bid on with the rear windshield set up. It looked nice on that car. Rear seat passengers are grateful too!

DSCF1838.thumb.JPG.159ed9f89d902b0c16212e535fccad0e.JPG

Other than that the car was WAY too accessorized for my taste.

777942084_Picture034.thumb.jpg.10d6ec589928e699e808f8dd60e1c8d1.jpg

That tonneau shield is in excellent restored shape...mine like the rest of the car has well worn patina as the car was last(first updated) in 1953 consistent with the owners written memoirs. I would like to find a picture of this car at one of the various glidden tours. It was owned by George David Smith, The CEO of UPS from 1962 to his death in the early 1970s

I have a copy of George David Smith's obit.....says in it he enjoyed driving his 17 Buick...the car went to David Lewis  an associate of Mr Smith and his obit he proudly appreciates aquiring it from Mr Smith...I aquired it from David Lewis.    I have not tried UPS of the original family yet but those are good suggestions.   I was hoping that the sponsors of the glidden's might have something but so far no responses.  

Photos of these events are acquired usually by happenstance. Photos and home movies by spectators. There have been a few converted movies show up on the forum. Do a search. My friend drove his 1916 Model T in the 1959 Glidden tour and I have the published roster he gave me and a cut up participation badge. (He needed that thickness of brass for a project.)The 1959 AACA magazine has a lot of photos of the event published but none of him and his car. He always told me he had lots of photos. But, they were all made into slides. When he passed his daughter threw them out.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:33 AM, tblack said:

I can step on the exhaust cut out it still works. 

Any chance of posting some pictures of the exhaust cutout and linkage?  I've thought about adding one but have no where to start. 

I'm sure morgan wright will see this and he has a complete exhaust system from his parts car that might give you a better idea of what it should look  like.   My Car has a flex pipe to the cast iron  cut out  and a fabricated adapter to a more modern muffler. Works but certainly not purist!!!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 11:44 AM, 27donb said:

Any chance of posting some pictures of the exhaust cutout and linkage?  I've thought about adding one but have no where to start. 

On 4/8/2019 at 11:44 AM, 27donb said:
4 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

Yeah, the parts car has a cutout, and the complete car has a cutout. Not sure what it's for.

Power.  Open it up, remove the muffler and exhaust restriction, and let that motor breath! 

2 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

To quote the manual on the cutout:

"This valve is provided principally to test the firing of the motor and it should not be used as a warning signal or for amusement".

From the horses mouth.

Keyword "principally" ;)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

To quote the manual on the cutout:

"This valve is provided principally to test the firing of the motor and it should not be used as a warning signal or for amusement".

From the horses mouth.

Any illustrations in the manual?

How about posting the pages of the manual you quote from? 

No illustration in the manual.

The cutout is actually part of the front head of the muffler assembly. The "linkage" is just a rectangular rof coming from the cutout poppet, up through the floor board.

It is activated by shoving down with your foot and pushing it back to lock it open.

A very simmple device.

I'll try to photograph it later

• Like 1

Morgan's cut out has the deflector plate with it installed over the cutout valve. It the valve, looks like a long stemmed exhaust or intake valve seated in the cast iron body...this cast iron body is also the the front end of the rebuildable muffler..

.Success... today I drove the 17 buick to town(6 mile road trip at 27F  brr) for a tank of gas and NYS inspection....all ran surprising well considering that was its first powered trip down the road in 43 years!!!   This is the first buick I've owned that does not leak fluids of some sort!!!

I did notice a little popping in  the carb...can't remember if that is symptomatic of the mix too lean or rich?   I did rebuild the carb with a new float, set the low speed jet and air valve spring to generally where the book says. The popping occurred pulling under load at times.  Top speed was 35mph I did not want to push it.  Seems as though its top end would be a comfortable 45...or higher pushing it.

• Like 2

Morgan.....   What does the inside of the tank and vacuum tank look like ....mine last ran in 1976 but the tank and vacuum tank were so buggered up with tar and crap I had no choice to take them out for professional attention. Make those inspections before adding fresh gas.  If you are just looking to see it run, Disconnect the fuel line and  attack the vacuum tank first as it can be used as a gravity pony tank for a few minutes of operation.   Good luck with the first start.   From the first drive I think the 16/17 rear end must be geared for a higher top end as opposed, to what my 21 and 23 were.

Good to hear...and good luck with that first start.

I took the car out with the wife and dog this afternoon 8 miles ran good they were pleased.....I tweeked the carb but found 2 valve cages that needed to  tightened up after the car was fully warmed up.  Could be I was sucking air around the not fully seated cages.   Found the same situation on my 21 and it fixed the problem....Tomorrow morning I'm taking it to the next town over Edinburg for breakfast 10 miles round.  All in all it seems to be a good runner and starts easy with the 8 volt battery.

• Like 1

Got my 10 mile round trip in as weather was good.  Actually I now have 50 miles on the car and returned to top off the gas tank....Car was running poorly on the way home...A Timing light indicated no firing on #3 and#6...both plugs were fouled with carbon.   Actually all the plugs were pretty dirty for 50 miles but were firing.   Carbon build up usually is from burning  oil or too rich of a mixture.   After popping in a couple of new plugs I set the Marvel(!!!) to the book.   Car does not appear to be burning oil but we will have to keep an eye on things.  I did put a fair amount of oil in the cylinders prior to the first start.

When I got the car 1 cylinder had a double electrode plug, I assume maybe that cylinder's plug was subject to early fouling....Any one use plugs in these cars designed to foul less easy??

I'll  keep driving it and see if we made improvements.