Copper Head Gasket

Don Jr.

Hi, Is anyone using a copper head gasket on a  1921 Dodge Brothers engine? I purchased a full kit including this gasket and asking weather I should use a  coating on it like Permatex Super 300  before installation or just install it bare? thank, Don

From my experience only....for every engine, I've ever rebuilt...I have never used any gasket coating on a head gasket regardless of the material...But, I've never rebuilt an engine older than 1930...

I used motor oil on my head gasket as per the owners manual. The head was taken off to repair a head stud. The mechanic sprayed copper permatex on it. I was using the "old method". 

Hi, I called the maker of the gasket kit and their response was to have the surfaces clean and flat on both the block and cylinder head. It would be my choice if I want to use Copper coat or other media on the gasket but is not necessary. Will find out how it works. Thanks for the reply's.

Great, I purchased some in case I needed it. As I said gasket manufacturer said it will not hurt to use some. Appreciate all the help and not pester anybody and hope to end all the questions as soon as the motor gets in the chassis and running (next week!) The body work should be straight forward and not be so challenging I hope with questions. This project has been sitting in boxes for over 40 years and has proved to be a puzzle putting it back together. It last ran guessing during WW2 when the touring rear half of the body was cut off and a home made pick up box was added to qualify for gas rationing as I was told. Sat in a barn until about 1970's when I located it for a family member. Hoping to get her running for her 100th anniversary!! Thanks so much again. Really appreciate all the help I am getting.