Problems shifting into forward gear on startup

I have a 1990 TC V6, with 4 speed AT.  Recently I have a problem that when I back out of my driveway, I shift into either Drive or Overdrive, the transmission does not immediately engage.  I have to sit for a bit, let idle, before the transmission will engage.  Often, I will have hesitation at several stops before this hesitation ceases.  I suspected fluid levels, checked, added fluid, have driven it probably 100+ miles since then, problem recurs.  Seems to be worse in colder weather.

Thoughts please?

Jim

This is a typical issue with early A604 transmissions. There's a "Shift Improver Kit" (NOT a shift kit as most know it) that helps with this. I don't know how many miles are on the car, but I would suggest a fluid/filter change with MOPAR ATF+4 fluid. I also suggest taking it to a transmission shop or a known good shop that has the ability to hook into the TCM diagnostics to see if there are any codes and what the CVI values are for the clutch packs (there are NO adjustments to the A604).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I called Firestone and Midas to schedule a transmission service.  Neither would do it, apparently fearing that in the course of servicing transmission and changing the filter, it is possible it would adversely affect the shifting, making the car undriveable.  I then scheduled an inspection at a local transmission specialty shop that has loads of experience with A604 transmissions.  He test drove, says runs well, thinks a transmission service and filter change will 'cure' the problem.  Note that the day of the test drive it was in low 60's.  I bought the car 3 years ago without service records.  He thinks just old fluid and filter.  Scheduled for next Friday, Apr 19.  Will update.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found a local transmission shop whose owner, while not familiar with the TC, was very familiar with the transmission.  Took it to him, he test drove (really likes the car), services transmission, inspected everything.  He found and fixed a leaking axle seal, declared all well.  Problem solved, now more responsive, no problems.  And only about $300 total.  I'm happy.

• Like 2