Topper1961

Buick Dealership Chicago

Posted (edited)

Hi!

Searched on internet to see if I could find any information about Ray Buick W. 63rd Street Chicago. Time period late 50s early 60s. No success so far, no picures or other, with exception of some old newspaper sales adds. All information of interest!

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Topper1961
Correcting and adding text (see edit history)

You could try contacting the archive/historical department of local newspapers (e.g., Chicago Tribune and other metropolitan area papers).  Chances are (for a fee) you can get reprints of pages that have advertisements from the era that you're looking for.

Thanks for taking the time, and the tip. I as wrote I have already some newspaper adds from that period. What I don't have is pictures of the actual dealersship or other information. Sometimes you come across quite much information on some of the Buick dealers from that period. I will give it a try, however still interested if anyone comes across information!

Thanks

Joern 

Have you tried contacting them through their website: www.raybuickchicago.com  ?  They appear to still be at 5011 W. 63rd Street.  I bet they would be happy to email you the appropriate images.

Super!

I overlooked that one, thanks a lot, will contact them immediately. If positive answer I will post the result!

• Like 1

No reply from Ray Buick after a month. However after a looong search I found this picture from Chicago Midway Airport in 1957, barely showing Ray  Buick on the other side of the runway. 

Great picture!

12623978563_c5413a1cb2_b.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Joern,

If you go to googlemaps.com and plug in the address, a current image of the dealership will appear in the left hand margin and an overhead map will appear full screen on the right. Click on the image in the upper left margin and that image, which is current, will open full screen on the right hand side. Click on the words "street view" and a small window will open which displays the dealership year by year back to 2008. If you view the 2008 image by using the sliding scale you will see that the dealership had the same basic appearance then as it did decades before.

I`m sure you can isolate this image and manipulate same. Is that all you wanted was an image? Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

Great tip Tom, probably I can use the snipping tool to get a good picture. However I would still be gratefull for time period correct pictures, late 50s up to mid 60s. I also wonder if any ever seen a  Ray Buick dealership  licence plate holder? 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Topper1961 said:

No reply from Ray Buick after a month. However after a looong search I found this picture from Chicago Midway Airport in 1957, barely showing Ray  Buick on the other side of the runway. 

Great picture!

12623978563_c5413a1cb2_b.jpg

Love the picture of the "Long nose Connie" (Lockeed Constellation.)  A bunch of retired TWA Mechanics from the old TWA overhaul base here in Kansas City are restoring one here in town.  Awesome airplane.  Everyonce in a while, you can see it flying around.  Power comes from four 18 cylinder Wright 3350 engines. Each engine displaces 55 liters (3,356 cubic inches) and develops up to 3,700 horsepower.

Pardon the interuption.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Topper1961 said:

Yupp, it works!

Skjermbilde RAY Buick.JPG

Joern,

Did you bring up the pic from 2008 as per my instructions?? The pic you posted here is obviously current and after a corporate remodel. The pic from 2008 looks much like the Midway airport pic you posted.

Tom

Ray Buick 2008.png

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Topper1961 said:

No reply from Ray Buick after a month.

Try again;  and better yet, telephone them if you have

reasonable phone rates.

I have found that sometimes people aren't good at replying,

and a second or third try is the reminder they need.

If you can speak to the owner, that would be best,

and he would probably be happy that some one

has an old car from his dealership or is an antique-car fan

interested in its history! 

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

Love the picture of the "Long nose Connie" (Lockeed Constellation.)  A bunch of retired TWA Mechanics from the old TWA overhaul base here in Kansas City are restoring one here in town.  Awesome airplane.  Everyonce in a while, you can see it flying around.  Power comes from four 18 cylinder Wright 3350 engines. Each engine displaces 55 liters (3,356 cubic inches) and develops up to 3,700 horsepower.

Pardon the interuption.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program

Ed! You don't have to appologize, great comment. I like it👍