Rearend upgrade for my 55’ Super!? Help

• 2 months later...

Rebuilding a 1956 Super.  Doing the engine now.  want to replace the powerglide transmission with a 700R4, need the low first gear, 4 speed and 4th gear overdrive.

Can you help me find someone that knows how to attach the frontend of the torque tube to either the 700R4 or an add-on crossmember? 

On 6/25/2019 at 8:57 AM, Scott W said:

Rebuilding a 1956 Super.  Doing the engine now.  want to replace the powerglide transmission with a 700R4, need the low first gear, 4 speed and 4th gear overdrive.

Can you help me find someone that knows how to attach the frontend of the torque tube to either the 700R4 or an add-on crossmember? 

Have never seen a '56 Super with powerglide.

Ben

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Have never seen a '56 Super with powerglide.

Ben

I'm sure he meant dynaflow.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:57 AM, Scott W said:

See my post above about the cross member kit. But you have to change the rear axle, no "adapter" for that exists.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

On 7/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, NC-car-guy said:

I'm sure he meant dynaflow.

See my post above about the cross member kit. But you have to change the rear axle, no "adapter" for that exists.

Unbelievable the number of people who look at the shift indicator and see the PNDLR shift pattern and assume the transmission is a Powerglide.  

The 700-R4 has a fairly deep first gear, but has a big gap between 1st and 2nd (revs really drop); you'll get a better driving (and faster car) if you use the TH 200-4R. Not as deep a low gear so you use a different rear end but it has a much higher geared over drive for top end.  Go back to 86 and 87, compare the Buick Grand National with its 200-4R to the Corvette with its 700-R4 (a TH350 with o/d.)  Buick wins - even with a V6 against the Vette's V8.  

If you're going for thrills, dump the crate and step up to a 425 Buick.  The 56 Buick is a heavy car. You want torque, not high revving horsepower.   Ask the US Air Force which engines they used in their start carts to spool up the jet engines in the SR71 Blackbird.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)